BACKUP HELPS

Currently reading
BACKUP HELPS

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. Windows
I am using DSM 7.0.1-42218 update 2 on multiple NAS devices. I have installed the Active Backup for Business agent on the PCs I wish to backup.
When I attempt to add a device, I am not prompted for a PC device on the network. All I see is the window on how to add windows devices to the list. I'm sure I've overlooked something real simple.
The NAS devices as well as the subject PC's are all on the same LAN.
Thanks for any help.

I am using DSM 7.0.1-42218 update 2 on multiple NAS devices. I have installed the Active Backup for Business agent on the PCs I wish to backup.
When I attempt to add a device, I am not prompted for a PC device on the network. All I see is the window on how to add windows devices to the list. I'm sure I've overlooked something real simple.
The NAS devices as well as the subject PC's are all on the same LAN.
Thanks for any help.

Once you have installed the agents on the pc’s, connect them to the nas by completing the ip/domain name and user credentials. Then it will show up in the nas

Upvote 0
When I installed ABB and linked it with my destination nas by using the ip and login, it should ask you what drives or the whole pc. The whole pc backs up everything, all hdd, etc... or you can only choose 1 drive, or folders as I recall.

Upvote 0
Actually, the template that you choose will determine what and how will be backed up, but as it was said, you need to initiate the connection from the client-side, not the NAS side. Once the PC is visible inside the ABB console, then you can run backups from either ABB or the PC side.

Upvote 0
Last edited by a moderator:
OK, My bad here. When I activate the agent & go through the process of selecting one of the NAS devices & providing my credentials, the following message is returned:
Internet error. Please check your internet connection.... & so on.​
The NAS devices are assigned 192.168.1.10 & 192.168.1.11 respectively on the LAN. I don't understand this message as I do not need to go to the internet per se & both devices are readily accessible from multiple Windows PCs on the LAN.
For what it's worth, the backups were previously functioning until we integrated the 2nd NAS into the LAN. Obviously with that change, NAS IPs were changed & exiting backups were terminated (removed).
I'm sure I'm missing something very simple. I have uninstalled & reinstalled applications on the NAS as well as the agent on the PC.

Upvote 0
When I activate the agent & go through the process of selecting one of the NAS devices & providing my credentials, the following message is returned:
Internet error. Please check your internet connection.... & so on.The NAS devices are assigned 192.168.1.10 & 192.168.1.11 respectively on the LAN.
Do you have the firewall turned on in DSM? If so can the entire local lan access ALL of the services on the NAS or just some? If some is active backup allowed?

Upvote 0
The firewall is not turned on. The issue I am having is with having the ABB agent connect to either of the NAS devices. Based on what I've been reading, I get the impression the issue is associated with multiple NAS devices on the LAN.
I am at another location with a single NAS and the ABB agent performs as expected.

Upvote 0
The firewall is not turned on. The issue I am having is with having the ABB agent connect to either of the NAS devices. Based on what I've been reading, I get the impression the issue is associated with multiple NAS devices on the LAN.
I am at another location with a single NAS and the ABB agent performs as expected.
Having multiple NAS in LAN is not an issue, or it shouldn't be. I have multiple ABB servers and have 0 problems pointing the client to a specific ABB server.

It has to be something else that is the problem for your particular case.

Guessing your client is a windows machine? If so, is the windows firewall up and running? If so try and open the default ABB port (5510/tcp) on it and see if that will help you out.

Upvote 0
Having multiple NAS in LAN is not an issue, or it shouldn't be. I have multiple ABB servers and have 0 problems pointing the client to a specific ABB server.

It has to be something else that is the problem for your particular case.

Guessing your client is a windows machine? If so, is the windows firewall up and running? If so try and open the default ABB port (5510/tcp) on it and see if that will help you out.

Agreed with Rusty here.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.