Backup NAS itself drive by Time Machine on the same NAS

NAS
DS220j
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hello,

I know how to configure Time Machine on DS220j to backup my Macbook. But I have other issue.

In DS220j there are slots for two drives. I would like to configure it in following way:
SLOT 1 - Here I would like to have installed Synology DSM and keep shared folder for Time Machine purposes.
SLOT 2 - Here I would like to have straight data like documents, projects, videos, music etc.

And I would like to configure Time Machine on SLOT 1 in such way it backup not only my Macbook, but also backup drive with straight data from SLOT 2.

Is it possible at all?

I tried to create Shared Folder on drive on slot 2. I have turned on SMB, and I can mount that shared folder on my macbook, that it appears on desktop as regular hard drive. But Time Machine still does not see it and doesn't backup it.

What should be changed to achieve such functionality?

For any help great thanks in advance.
Best Regards

Is it possible at all?
Yes.

What's your current array setup with those 2 drives? From your description, you want 2 separate volumes. So if you already have a working array you will have to nuke it and create a fresh setup with 2 volumes, if you want them separated. Then you can continue to work with your configuration from that point forward.

tried to create Shared Folder on drive on slot 2.
Does this mean you have 2 separate volumes?

Yes.

What's your current array setup with those 2 drives? From your description, you want 2 separate volumes. So if you already have a working array you will have to nuke it and create a fresh setup with 2 volumes, if you want them separated. Then you can continue to work with your configuration from that point forward.

Does this mean you have 2 separate volumes?
Hello, great thanks for your reply.
Yes I have 2 separated volumes. But now for tests there are 4 TB drive, and 500 GB drive.

Now Time Machine works fine on 4 TB drive (in Shared Folder). But it backups only my macbook.
While 500 GB drive is not being backuped.
Unfortunately in Time Machine settings there is only option to add folders/drives to list of excluded items from being backuped.
I've heard that drives are automaticaly added to that list of excluded items.
And to backup such drives you only need to removed those drives from that list.

Unfortunately my 500 GB drive (or its Shared Folders) is not added to that list automaticaly. So I can't remove it from there.

I tried to manually add that drive (to be precise I mean Shared Folder) to that list of excluded items, to be able to remove it later. But it disappears automaticaly. So it looks like Time Machine can't even exclued that drive. So it looks like Time Machine doesn't treat my drive as a drive which you could backup.

I have no idea what solution should I try next?

My volumes configuration looks like on enclosed screenshot.

For any help great thanks in advance.
Synology NAS.png

How did you plan to backup your 500G HDD using TimeMachine back to 4TB drive? Did I get that right? We are talking about Time Machine the macOS backup app correct?

If you want to backup your 500G content you could use HyperBackup for that task to back it up to your other volume.

Last edited:
How did you plan to backup your 500G HDD using TimeMachine back to 4TB drive? Did I get that right? We are talking about Time Machine the macOS backup app correct?

If you want to backup your 500G content you could use HyperBackup for that task to back it up to your other volume.

Hello,
yes, you are right, I want exactly that, to backup my 500GB using Time Machine. And yes, I am talking about macOS Time Machine. Is that possible?

Does HyperBackup allow me to do that? Or it's just other way to backup?

Hello again,
now I have little bit conflicting information.

But now I get:

So is it possible, or I need to use something different, in example HyperBackup?
Correct. Not sure why you think that you can use a native macos backup tool to backup one nas volume to the other?

So if you want NAS volume backups you best look into HyperBackup package

Correct. Not sure why you think that you can use a native macos backup tool to backup one nas volume to the other?
Hmm... I am just accustomed with Time Machine, and I also like it very much. And I don't like to learn new backup tool.
I would love to end up in situation when I don't need to use and look at DSM at all. I would like to configure it in right way, and then don't use it any more.
I like to do all file/folder operations in OSX Finder. But the DSM is just next tool to learn and to be accustomed with.

Synology DSM looks very nice and it is really pleasure to have fun with it. So I don't want to complaining.... But it looks like I am :rolleyes: .....Hmm... It's just another computer system to manage.
I don't like computers at all, so for me it's enough if I use only one system like OSX, or maybe two because of my Android phone.

But OK, it looks like it's not so easy. So I need to have just two big drives (like 10TB or more each) and then just mirror them. I will consider that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.