1. RT1900ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi all,

my first post on this forum :)

I have a DS918+ with more than 27TB loaded, practically speaking all my digital life! :)
I'm on a 30 days free trial with some colleagues for a Dropbox Team Advanced which comes with unlimited cloud space and I'd like to use it to backup most of my NAS' contents; generally speaking I'm pretty happy with Dropbox, it's very user friendly and capable. Therefore I've installed the Synology app CloudSync and here the problem arises: the app gives me the chance to backup/sync on Dropbox with a just ONE folder, but I have many shared folders that I'd like to backup, each one with its own sharing permissions, quotas and settings. Is there any trick to solve this problem?

I thought to create in SSH another dir in my Volume1 and then create inside it as many alias (or hard links, if Synology's Linux supports them) that point to the actual folders I'm interested in backing up as the number of directories interested in this process, but unfortunately I was not able to do it. I'm not a Linux expert and I don't even know if this thing is a good idea and can works or not.

I've also thought of GoodSync app (present on Synology's store) but, as far as I know, it cannot work as stand alone and create backup/sync jobs and it needs a GoodSync client running on a Win/Mac machine.

The ideal solution would be being able to recreate the directories' tree of my NAS inside a specific Dropbox folder. Do you guys have ideas how to do it? Thanks in advance! :)

the app gives me the chance to backup/sync on Dropbox with a just ONE folder, but I have many shared folders that I'd like to backup, each one with its own sharing permissions, quotas and settings.
So you are saying you have multiple folders on your NAS that you would like to push to DB, or do you have multiple subfolders inside the DB folder on your NAS that you want to send to DB?

Guessing you mean the 1st scenario, and if that is the case, the answer is no. By design, DB sync via CloudSync works with DB root folder content, not various content all over your NAS.

Upvote 0
Yes,
So you are saying you have multiple folders on your NAS that you would like to push to DB, or do you have multiple subfolders inside the DB folder on your NAS that you want to send to DB?

Guessing you mean the 1st scenario, and if that is the case, the answer is no. By design, DB sync via CloudSync works with DB root folder content, not various content all over your NAS.
Yes, the 1st scenario is the correct one: I have multiple folders on your NAS that you would like to push to DB. And even if CloudSync works so by design, I'd like to know if there is some workarounds i.e. the ones I thought of, and someone has thought something to overcome this (BIG) limitation.

Upvote 0
Another Q: what if I use HyperBackup to backup everything to DB? Hyperbackup seems not to have the same limitations of CloudSync. But its way of working is quite similar to a Time Machine to me. It encapsulates all the data in thousand of files and I cannot see my data directly. Is that correct? What if I have to recover from a partial backup, is it possible? Just asking that because it's very likely that a big backup of 27TB requires a lots of time to be aligned between source and destination. What happens if I had a crash when HyperBackup's not finished yet its job?

Upvote 0
Hyperbackup seems not to have the same limitations of CloudSync
Because those are 2 different tools. CS is a sync tool, and HB is a backup one.

It encapsulates all the data in thousand of files and I cannot see my data directly. Is that correct?
It uses a proprietary database format that allows for versioning to happen which means that you can access the data using HB or HB Vault client app.

What if I have to recover from a partial backup, is it possible?
Yes, with the Vault app

What happens if I had a crash when HyperBackup's not finished yet its job?
The backup job will resume once it syncs up the source and destination side.

Upvote 0
Thanks!

I had a look to HB and it's not that bad. But there is one thing that I cannot understand:

• Enable backup schedule: Schedule when the system should automatically perform the backup task
Schedule gives a beginning time but not a finishing one. Assuming that until the backup is not completed cannot be suspended and NAS cannot be shut down; am I correct? My NAS has an its own schedule, and works mainly at night. And I want it to be able to properly shutdown, re-launching its own jobs when it will be up again. Is it possible?

Upvote 0
Thanks!

I had a look to HB and it's not that bad. But there is one thing that I cannot understand:

• Enable backup schedule: Schedule when the system should automatically perform the backup task
Schedule gives a beginning time but not a finishing one. Assuming that until the backup is not completed cannot be suspended and NAS cannot be shut down; am I correct? My NAS has an its own schedule, and works mainly at night. And I want it to be able to properly shutdown, re-launching its own jobs when it will be up again. Is it possible?
You can actually shutdown the nas and resume at a later time. What will happen is that hb will repeat the job if it’s stopped by force, so yes, it would be best to complete the task before shutdown

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.