Backup philosophy. Am I doing this right.....

Currently reading
Backup philosophy. Am I doing this right.....

NAS
RS820+; DS1621+;DS918+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Good afternoon all.
A couple of questions/points if anyone could clarify for me.
I have probably confused myself as well, with so many backup options.
My next step is to write down all my steps of what I have done.....

I have a small business, and we rely 100% on our Synology NAS units.
First a little of how we use them.

We use two Synology NAS.
Both RS models, (RS420 is the backup unit, with RS822+ as the working server.
Future plans to use the RS822 as backup when the RS1624xs+ comes out.
Our primary NAS also has a single VM
All running latest DSM.

This VM is for our web facing sites. Company asset and maintenance system, plus our website.
There is no data as such on this (shared folders) except those to run the webpages.
I use a VM primarily as it seams to be the most logical way to have a machine back up and running in minutes from its snapshot. (Am I correct in this assumption)
My only bugbear is buying a license for VMM Pro to replicate the snapshots, at £100 per year, (so I haven't bought it yet)
Our main NAS (Not the VM) is running the File station, mail plus server, contacts, DAV Server, VMM, Drive Server.

Our backup machine has Hyper backup Vault, and Active Backup for Business.
This backup machine is (I hope) fairly well locked down. it can only be accessed via a reverse proxy, and from within the UK, so no ports are forwarded to it, and firewall set to only allow from UK.
This backup is also a R-Sync destination for my Qnap, with my home stuff on it, films, music etc.
It also switches itself off for about 18 hours a day.

Backing up physical data on shared folders, no problem. There is a backup task
We have snapshots on some of our shared folders. These are stored locally on the same machine.
Am I better to just store these using snapshot replication to the backup server??

Databases.
Is it possible to snapshot the Maria DB database on the VM, and how do I access those.
Is it possible to snapshot other system databses such as contacts, or emails, and how are these accessed.
Have I over complicated things above?

Lastly, I am 100% not familiar with anything under the hood, and have never used any command line as such, so the inner working of linux are a mystery to me.
any advice most appreciated

Am I better to just store these using snapshot replication to the backup server??
guessing you mean the data on the 822 server? If so, you can do both. Local and replication task towards the 420 unit

Is it possible to snapshot the Maria DB database on the VM, and how do I access those.
Not with any Syno tool. The only snap package is the SR one that you use, but it can't target anything other then the DSM shared folders (local on top of that).

Is it possible to snapshot other system databses such as contacts, or emails, and how are these accessed.
If you mean folders on the NAS then only if those are visible as "user" accessible root folders. Any other "DB" that DSM uses can't be used that way.

You can try and use HyperBackup and use its package backup function to capture the content and have it backed up.

I use a VM primarily as it seams to be the most logical way to have a machine back up and running in minutes from its snapshot. (Am I correct in this assumption)
Guessing this machine is not protected with Active Backup for business as well? Are you just using the VMM export/backup function to backup this particular VM? A bit more info on this would be helpful.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.