Currently reading
Question Backup strategy

NAS
DS1019+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
As I'm slowly moving things across to my new NAS, it's time to re-do my backup strategy. But because I'm new to all this, I don't feel I yet have sufficient experience to design a NAS backup strategy.

So, here's what I used to have (which I was happy with, and had lots of redundancy, especially on important files):
  1. For vital documents and other user data:
    1. Windows File History (on a second drive).
    2. DropBox sync
    3. Daily cloud backup using Acronis True Image.
    4. Weekly incremental backup (on a second drive) using Acronis True Image.
  2. For large media files
    1. Weekly incremental backup (on a second drive) using Acronis True Image.
  3. For system
    1. Weekly system backup (on a second drive) using Acronis True Image.
One caveat here is that my internet uplink is only 1Mb/s, so I'm fairly limited to how much data I can upload offsite.

I've now moved all my user data and media files to the NAS:
  1. Vital documents
    1. File History tells me it's not supported on network drives, so that needs replacing with something. What's best to use?
    2. I'm still using DropBox. Perhaps in time I'll switch to Synology Drive, but at the moment DropBox is the easier option.
    3. I could continue a daily cloud backup to Acronis at approx $150/year (for 1TB). Or with Synology backup software I could switch to another service (Glacier or C2 for about $60/year, or perhaps my unused 1TB OneDrive for free). In the long run it might be cheaper to to buy a DS218j and put it in my parents house (including 2x1Tb drives, approx $230?). The DS218j has the huge advantage that I could seed the backup locally before moving it to my parents house. Thoughts?
    4. Not sure I still need a weekly incremental backup if I'm doing the above and have two-disk redundancy.
  2. Large media files
    1. This is a significant amount of data. It isn't irreplaceable, but I'd rather not lose it. There's no point putting this backup on the NAS, because the media files themselves are stored there. If I do buy a DS218, perhaps it could go there, although I'd need 2x4TB drives then which would cost another $100. I'd need to check I had enough bandwidth though.
  3. System backup
    1. A system backup is important to me but only because it saves a few days work reinstalling in case of drive failure. This could just go on the NAS, as my system drive is entirely separate. If I lose my system drive AND my NAS at the same time, it probably means my house has burned down. A few days extra installing time will then be the least of my worries.

So, my questions are:
  1. Does this strategy seem reasonable?
  2. What's the best software to do this? Active Backup for my system backup and Hyper Backup (or Glacier Backup?) for the NAS backup? (Minimising bandwidth is a priority for offsite backups, so file-level backups with block-level updates would be the ideal. I understand Hyper Backup supports this.)

Just a comment on vital files...(I can hear my wife saying "Here we go again w/the USB key lecture..." :)

If these are files w/personal and important info, I would not put them in Dropbox or any other cloud storage. Everything eventually gets hacked to one extent to another (known exploits and yet undiscovered) so putting that type of data into the cloud seems like asking for it.

We use a combination of local backups on our NAS/USB connected drives for all personal files/docs, and a smaller subset of "must have!" personal docs are also backed up to a pair of USB keys. We then swap those keys back-and-forth between our workplace. We update the current USB key at home whenever we make a significant change, and then take that key to work, and bring home the USB key that is currently at work. Then we update that key as well and put it into our home hiding place for it. That way we always have:

1. USB key at home w/key files if all drives at home are down/stolen, eaten by demon from hell, whatever
2. Off-site USB key if fire/earthquake/said demon make our home/network inaccessible or forever lost

You could also use a relative's or close friend's house to hold the off-site key, or even a safe deposit box.

Takes diligence in updating/swapping the keys, but has worked very well for us to protect key files w/out having to put them up for auction in the cloud.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.