Backup to external (but LAN) synology server - shared map (fails fails to access Backup Destination)

Currently reading
Backup to external (but LAN) synology server - shared map (fails fails to access Backup Destination)

NAS
DS414, DS916+, DS1815+, DX513
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Last edited:
Hi, some days ago I was forced to replace one of the disks in one of the volumes on my backup server.
After doing that I wanted to backup my data to this new volume again.
From my second NAS (DS916+) this went without a hitch. I could create new backup files on this volume and successfully complete te backups.
From my primary NAS (DS414) though, I was (and still am) unable to create backup files on either the new volume, the existing second volume on the same backup server or even (as a test) on my second NAS.
I open hyper backup, open backup tast data, choose backup to external NAS, enter (choose) IP-address, enter username and password, and then when I want to choose the shared folder I get the message "cannot connect to external server, check your network settings".
Now, I have checked my settings over and over again on all of my NAS', to no avail !
I tried backing up using Rsync but also there I get the same message.
Now, the three NAS' are running different DSM-versions (not my choice). Could that be the problem?
DS1815+ is running DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3
DS916+ is running DSM 7.0-41890
DS414 is running DSM 6.2.4-25556 Update 2
I guess the differences in DSM-versions are because the two older NAS' just can't cope with the newest DSM 7 operating system, but could this be the problem?
Both the DS1815+ and the DS414 ar running different subversions of DSM 6.2...
All NAS' are accessible, I can create and link up shared directories in all modes and transfer data between all NAS', but a Hyper Backup remains not possible...

Any suggestions?

ps: I do not read anything that indicates a fix for this problem in the new "6.2.4-25556 Update 2" release that became available for the DS1815+, so I guess that was not addressed...

Hi @Asterixxx, welcome to the forum.

It probably doesn't make any difference but just to clarify which NAS are which (backup server, primary, secondary, and where the DX513 sits):
  1. Primary NAS: DS414
  2. Secondary NAS: DS916+
  3. Backup Server/NAS: DS1815+ with DX513
That you have multiple storage pools and volumes on the Backup Server/NAS and one of these pools had to have a disk replaced recently.

Prior to this event, your Secondary NAS was successfully using the Backup Server/NAS as the destination for its Hyper Backup tasks, and it still is able to backup after the disk replacement. But the Primary NAS has never been able to use the Backup Server/NAS as a Hyper Backup destination, and this situation is still the case after disk replacement.

Is this all correct?

There as been recently with DSM 7 the issue with Mac and Safari where the login to the destination NAS wouldn't work due to Cross-Origin Restrictions being triggered in the browser. This necessitated this feature to be disabled to continue:
1632138191143.png

Last edited:
Prior to the event both NAS' were perfectly performing backups to the volume (volume is solely on the DS1815+, not on the DX512 extension drives). Only after changing disks on the volume the problem occurred, and only with the DS414 not with the DS916+. The latter can still access an existing backup on the second volume on the DS1815+ and create new backup volumes on the first volume on the DS1815+. Also, the DS414 cannot create a backup on the DS916+ (I tried that in a process of elimination).

questions=
- Am I correct in understanding that the recent change in DSM7 should not ifluence a Synolgy to synology backup?
- The DS916+ is the device upgraded to the DSM7 version, both the DS414 and DS1815+ are still running 6.xx versions so should theoretically be unnaffected.
I also had to lower the security settings on the DS916+ NAS some weeks ago since the increased security settings in the latest update prohibited my multimedia player to access the DS916+ (no problem with the DS414). This didn't affect the performance of the hyper backup system on any of the devices...
Hope this clarifies things...

ps: I also tried to link a directory on my DS414 to a directory on the DS1815+ in order to use local backup but synology blocked off that possibility (I guess they do not want people to use that to back up (none synology) attached devices). I am actually hesitant to install the latest upgrade to my DS1815+ fearing that it might further complicate the situation...
Consecutive changes in the security infrastructure and other have already caused me quite some greef and made me spend hours trying to get my devices up and running again (with variable success).
Also, My DS916+ has one DX513 as an extension, whereas my DS1815+ has two DX513 extension drives...

What you're experiencing isn't what I experienced when I had a mix of DSM 6 and 7 and was using HB between them. The issue I had was with CORS but that was triggered in the browser. Seems odd that DSM 6 to DSM 6 is failing, have you got the latest HB and HB Vault installed?

But this makes no sense if all you changed was a disk on the destination NAS: that should be invisible to the source NAS.

Last edited:
So it seems no one has found any kind of fix for this problem...
ps: Since the update to DSM 7 I had a problem with the increased safety settings of the new version.
My Multimedia player and TV suddenly couldn't access the DSM 7 - upgraded device anymore (DS916+). But since the problem is not only with my DS916+ but also with my DS1816+ I guess it must originate somewhere in my DS414 or in one of its settings, which is strange because I did not change any settings prior to reinitialising the volume on my backup device...
I just hope nothing is happening to my original data while I am trying to find a fix...

So it seems no one has found any kind of fix for this problem...
Or no-one has experienced it and can't fathom out why this is happening.

My Multimedia player and TV suddenly couldn't access the DSM 7
How are they accessing the NAS? SMB v1? Because SMB has been changed to be at least v2 at minimum.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.