Backup to Non-Synology NAS WebDAV or Rsync?

Currently reading
Backup to Non-Synology NAS WebDAV or Rsync?

NAS
DS1019+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
TrueNAS core is what I run on an old converted N40L proliant that used to be a Windows Home Server. I use S3 backup with HyperBackup to have a local copy under my 3-2-1 backup strategy. With TrueNAS removing S3 services from their "Native" services and the only option is to run it as a plugin under a Jail is not an option since there is only 4GB of RAM in this system. HyperBackup supports both WebDAV and Rsync (Muti-version, single version) and the TrueNAS core has native support for both. I am leaning to using Rsync due to my more familiarity with the protocol vs. WebDAV but what do other folks think either protocol for backup of the Synology?

I am leaning to using Rsync due to my more familiarity with the protocol
Imho, rsync for this backup scenario for sure. WebDAV is just a "modern" web access to file storage with transfer capabilities. From my testing if nothing else, rsync is faster, and would probably be a better fit for this particular case.

Thanks guys, poking around in other articles and they also configured the backup jobs with Rsync. The bad thing is doing a 3 TB backup from scratch which I will configure the backup progressively to include more stuff each run until I have a full set of good on-premise backup files.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.