NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I would like to make weekly backup of my data on an External drive attached via USB to my NAS. Maybe every sunday during night (I have atm 1.3TB data).

I would like the backup to only overwrite datas that was acutally updated/created/changed during the week, and not everything.

Between this 2 options (Hyper Backup or USBCopy) wich one would be the best in my use case?

Thanks! :D

The OP use case is exactly the same as mine. I use USBCopy and it works treat with my USB3 caddy and several 'bare metal' drives. Better still, the USBCopy tasks are stored on the individual drives so, once the tasks are setup, the workflow becomes 1. Drop the relevant backup drive into the caddy and fire up USBCopy. The Copy task(s) for that drive only then become active. 2. Run the task(s) and do your backup. USBCopy supports various backup strategies including incremental 3.Eject the drive.

HyperBackup is probably more flexible but I don't need the additional complexity for my simple needs. The only minor issues I have with USBCopy is that I seem to need separate tasks for my Synology Photos and Docs drives and I can't chain the tasks together.however pressing Start twice is hardly a deal breaker!

Fair enough. I didn't look into it too deeply cos USBCopy did all I need and left me with a bare metal drive that was readable in Windows, Linux or Synology file explorer. I thought I read somewhere that you needed something called hyper backup explorer to browse HyperBackup volumes but that might have been a mistake

Fair enough. I didn't look into it too deeply cos USBCopy did all I need and left me with a bare metal drive that was readable in Windows, Linux or Synology file explorer. I thought I read somewhere that you needed something called hyper backup explorer to browse HyperBackup volumes but that might have been a mistake
That is correct but HB has multiple backup options not just their proprietary one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.