Currently reading
Bad Sectors?

NAS
DS220+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Yesterday I found a notification that I had bad sectors in Drive 1 (220+ Raid 1) I followed the instructions and did an Extended Test.
It says Healthy for both drives.
After the test I went to looked at the Health information S.M.A.R.T. details.
Line 5: Raw Data 8
Line 197 Raw Data 0
Line 198 Raw Data 0

I read in the instructions that all three of these lines should be "0" .
Does having "8" on Line 5 indicate I have a damaged drive?

In the Health Information section > Iron Wolf Health it says it has not been tested...should I do so and how i this different then "SMART" extended testing?
TIA
Rob
PS Running DSM 7.0.1-42218 Update 2

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 8.22.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 8.22.38 AM.png
    127.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 8.23.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 8.23.00 AM.png
    80.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 8.25.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 8.25.32 AM.png
    141.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 8.33.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 8.33.06 AM.png
    135.4 KB · Views: 23
Your screenshot indicates that you have had eight bad sectors which have been reallocated. If this drive is under warranty, you should contact the OEM for an RMA replacement. Otherwise, you should consider replacing this drive once your backups are current.

Since you have a RAID 1 array, you are only at moderate risk. When you have the new drive in hand, run a scrub before replacing the failing drive.

Thanks for your help. I checked and the serial # indicated I am under warranty. This is stupid question but which of the two drives (right or left) is drive 1?

Thanks I looked it up on Synology site and 1 is left 2 right.
About to file for a warranty replacement. I have Raid 1 set up. Should I apply for the data rescue or just replace the drive and it will copy from drive 2 over to replacement?

Last edited:
In the warranty step process I received this message....below... Will I be creating problems by installing an "Equivalent Product"?
AND, How do I erase this drive before sending it back?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 11.00.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 11.00.41 AM.png
    112.3 KB · Views: 14
You're pretty much stuck with this. Seagate told me this, and then shipped a nearly equal model. I was good with that.

I connected the failing drive to a Win PC and used "diskpart clean all", then checked the drive surface for content. It took nearly 2 days to wipe and 8TB drive.

So to be sure... Should I do the Data Recovery process or simply install the new drive 1 and the Drive 2 will copy to drive 1?
Thanks for your help. I am still learning and was totally new to NAS 18 months ago.

BTW wanted to know if "Data Scrubbing" schedule is recommended. I know nothing about this yet but it appears to prolong the life of the drives' data? Actually is there any suggests for best practices that would have helped avoid the bad sectors being generated, or is this the fault of the drive hardware?

Trying to determine if the NAS is btrfs formatted. I did find where I can schedule the monthly scrub but want to be sure of the formatting before scheduling. Where would I locate the formatting info?

Thank you...and I see I must not be formatted for Btrfs

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 10.36.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 10.36.08 AM.png
    189.2 KB · Views: 26
Hmmm...I thought that data scrubbing was for btrfs AND RAID 5 or RAID 6 (maybe others, but not RAID 1, as is the case for the OP). I also have a RAID1 btrfs and would data scrub if that were possible...

Last edited:
So from what I have found Raid Scrubbing works on Raid 5 or 6 setups. As I have Raid 1 and apparently not Bptrfs formatted, am I still able to Data Scrub in the Storage Manager?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Trending threads

Back