Bandwidth savings: H265 over H264, vs H264+ ??

Currently reading
Bandwidth savings: H265 over H264, vs H264+ ??

NAS
DS 718+, 2x-DS 720+
Router
  1. RT2600ac
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
My playing around with bandwidth vs picture quality tests recently, though entirely successful….. I now realize I left out some things.

My cameras have H264 AND H265 codecs built in

At the time (6+ years ago) there were problems with software for H265, so I went with H264 when I set the cameras up 3-4 years ago.
(This was in broadcast and editing use, back when I was working). That had nothing to do with security cameras, however, so my concerns on this from before may be unfounded.

How is the use of H265 doing these days? And, how much bandwidth are you saving between the two H265 vs H264?

Just received a spare camera and once updated and configured I’ll have something to compare with, but I’d thought I’d post to see how H265 is faireing with others.
Thank you for you post

Solution
In this case the source material was the same thing... Only the Codec (and unfortuneately the format) changed.... 2 variables.... So it's a very real test: Picture Quality & Bandwidth vs. Codec. Had 1920 been available for H264+ that would have removed that second variable...
IT theory -- I'm weak... Video.. I'm good... Have a couple of other Ex Network guys look at pics, but I'm pretty confidant that when all experiments are done the loss of format (720 in place of 1080) is going to be more important than the improvement in bandwidth... that H264+ had over H264... Manual and Help files in camera has sections on H265 & H265+, but never found them...

Email Inbox from retired TV Network engineers confirmed my findings: 1920x1080...
My playing around with bandwidth vs picture quality tests recently, though entirely successful….. I now realize I left out some things.

My cameras have H264 AND H265 codecs built in

At the time (6+ years ago) there were problems with software for H265, so I went with H264 when I set the cameras up 3-4 years ago.
(This was in broadcast and editing use, back when I was working). That had nothing to do with security cameras, however, so my concerns on this from before may be unfounded.

How is the use of H265 doing these days? And, how much bandwidth are you saving between the two H265 vs H264?

Just received a spare camera and once updated and configured I’ll have something to compare with, but I’d thought I’d post to see how H265 is faireing with others.
Thank you for you post
"H265 can support the same ammount of data at half the bitrate of H264". While that statement might be true, it very much depends on your source material.
To convert H264 to H265 your goto software could be "Handbrake" or "xmedia recode" (but everybody has thier own favorite tool).
Test a short video, by encoding with CRF between 20 (bigger files/better quality) - 28 (smaller file size/less quality), with the slowest enode speed you have patience for and see how it works for you.
Or download bit rate test videos from Jellyfish Bitrate Test Files and see how they play on you devices.
More info on Can my Synology NAS convert videos for my device? - Synology Videnscenter
Also read:

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Well an update... That I wasn't expecting... Though Documentation & Help Files indicate H265 is in camera.... (Also H265+) Either by mistake in docs/help files in camera, or firmware update: It's NOT!
However H264+ IS IN CAMERA's! though once I tested H264+ it took 30 min before camera talked to SS correctly...
It appears H264+ either in my camera, or design, is limited to 1280x720...
If you have any background in 1920x1080, (especially if the Sensor is a 3K sensor before the down-convert to 1920x1080) the picture quality difference is visible on same scene's with 1920x1080 running rings around 1280x720...

Oh By the Way, I had to implement H264+ from SS end, camera will not make that change! And there were two reasons why Image locked up and disconnected from SS.... Camera remained at 1920x1080 though H264+ was activated in camera, and SS made the configuration change to 1280x720.. framerate in H264+ in SS defaults to 10fps, and I had it at 30fps, at camera, and that, too remained... Settings are: 1280x720/30 Variable Bitrate, Highest (5) Image Quality. Yes! DS CAM data display DOES indicate a significant bandwidth reduction.

So I'm playing around with H264+ on 3x cameras in DS CAM, but though bandwidth decreased over the settings I used before, the picture quality seems to have decreased with bandwidth, though the bandwidth reduction setting changes I did a couple days ago, DIDN'T Degrade the picture quality... and I remained at 1920x1080/30, Variable Bitrate, but Image Quality at 4.

Hey! I'm learning!

Upvote 0
Well an update... That I wasn't expecting... Though Documentation & Help Files indicate H265 is in camera.... (Also H265+) Either by mistake in docs/help files in camera, or firmware update: It's NOT!
However H264+ IS IN CAMERA's! though once I tested H264+ it took 30 min before camera talked to SS correctly...
It appears H264+ either in my camera, or design, is limited to 1280x720...
If you have any background in 1920x1080, (especially if the Sensor is a 3K sensor before the down-convert to 1920x1080) the picture quality difference is visible on same scene's with 1920x1080 running rings around 1280x720...

Oh By the Way, I had to implement H264+ from SS end, camera will not make that change! And there were two reasons why Image locked up and disconnected from SS.... Camera remained at 1920x1080 though H264+ was activated in camera, and SS made the configuration change to 1280x720.. framerate in H264+ in SS defaults to 10fps, and I had it at 30fps, at camera, and that, too remained... Settings are: 1280x720/30 Variable Bitrate, Highest (5) Image Quality. Yes! DS CAM data display DOES indicate a significant bandwidth reduction.

So I'm playing around with H264+ on 3x cameras in DS CAM, but though bandwidth decreased over the settings I used before, the picture quality seems to have decreased with bandwidth, though the bandwidth reduction setting changes I did a couple days ago, DIDN'T Degrade the picture quality... and I remained at 1920x1080/30, Variable Bitrate, but Image Quality at 4.

Hey! I'm learning!
I just realized you posted under "Surveillance Station" and not video files in general, so only first line aplies in this case:
"H265 can support the same ammount of data at half the bitrate of H264". While that statement might be true, it very much depends on your source material.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
In this case the source material was the same thing... Only the Codec (and unfortuneately the format) changed.... 2 variables.... So it's a very real test: Picture Quality & Bandwidth vs. Codec. Had 1920 been available for H264+ that would have removed that second variable...
IT theory -- I'm weak... Video.. I'm good... Have a couple of other Ex Network guys look at pics, but I'm pretty confidant that when all experiments are done the loss of format (720 in place of 1080) is going to be more important than the improvement in bandwidth... that H264+ had over H264... Manual and Help files in camera has sections on H265 & H265+, but never found them...

Email Inbox from retired TV Network engineers confirmed my findings: 1920x1080 Pix Quality Better than 1280x720 -- Had H264+ supported 1080 the results may have been better. Changed back to H264 on cameras.. Increased bandwidth of H264 will be tolerated due to picture quality.

PS the conversion Back to H264 from H264+ done from SS end was flawless... took about a min longer than camera reboot...

Upvote 0
Solution

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.