DS 718+, 2x-DS 720+
Router
  1. RT2600ac
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
I’m far enough into this to be able to post correct information, but still a novice on this to want more information, or to compare notes with others….

I’m using HiKVision 2CD2042WD-1 cameras with SS.
SS makes/saves video out of the camera IP stream. Works fine.
Using DS CAM, to see live images, I can add a window on each camera indicating bandwidth that each camera is using to ‘get here’….. The setting: “Image Quality” in: SS/IP camera edit/device settings/Video/Image Quality
Determines the bandwidth used by camera.
DS CAM Setting for bandwidth: Settings/Cam Info Display

This is the starting place for this post.

The setting: Image Quality, is a 1-5 setting..
I had set it as 5 originally for no other reason than I was concerned on getting it going at the time. I wanted best overall picture quality. That was 3+ years ago.... Worked! and that's what I wanted... End of Story.... NO!

In past week I finally experimented with that setting in conjunction with the bandwidth indicator in DS CAM.

My findings:
I tried all 5 settings and discovered the settings change the bandwidth, but the change in bandwidth is not linear on the 5 settings. Why this non linear approach. ??
The number there hides me from bandwidth numbers, it was only when I found setting in DS CAM did I even knew what bandwidth I was using to get the cameras from point A to point B. Why hide this information??

I eventually compared 5 on one camera with different setting on another camera, and documented bandwidth and picture quality. I changed both cameras from 5 to 4 for best 1920x1080/30 frame image quality, and saved enough bandwidth in the process, to add a 3rd camera with identical settings, and after that: I still had some overall bandwidth savings, compared to prior settings, as well! (I sometimes edit video footage from SS, that’s why I'm using 30fps HD Video! (I’m in USA -25fps in PAL countries)..

This was totally unexpected. But the way the settings in SS are presently, It Hides you from the Bandwidth numbers you really want to know about!! (As I learned 3+ years later!!)

I would have thought that Both settings should have been identical. The 1-5 setting in Image Quality hides you from the data bandwidth information that you’d really want to be kept appraised on, especially so if you have multiple cameras.

Benifits on doing this:
1. More cameras can be used on same bandwidth.
2. Faster loading of images on DS CAM. Especially so when using phone data, as opposed to WIFI or LAN Connect
3. This is especially helpful if your ISP doesn't give you a high upload speed (mine is 10Mb UP)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.