Bare metal recovery of NAS via cloud, experiences? advice?

Currently reading
Bare metal recovery of NAS via cloud, experiences? advice?

Hi guys,

I'm looking to get a synology nas as a small file server and backup target in a SOHO environment. I've been looking at Hyper back up and using backblaze as a cloud storage provider.

Is hyperback up enough to do a full bare metal recovery from total drive(s) failure?

For example, if you were to have a pool of 1TB HDD with a volume of 1TB and it died, all your synology apps/configs/user accounts and data are now gone. You now have a new 1TB hdd and need to restore everything like it never happened.

I'm aware that the above example is not best practice but I'm using it as a worst case scenario. I'm asking this because its quite well documented how to do this on other environments like a windows machine. You can use acronis or veeam boot media and it will provision a new hdd and replace all the data at a volume level.

How is this process done on a synology nas? Has anyone experienced it before?

I've seen plenty of documentation on how to restore individual files using Hyper back up but not on how to restore it from a bare metal situation.

Thanks,

Is hyperback up enough to do a full bare metal recovery from total drive(s) failure?
yes

You can place a new drive install fresh DSM and HB and then relink to your HB task and restore all data and all the apps and settings that you can initially configure with HB.

Thanks for the replies guys, even though they are contradictory 😅

Telos, could you please elaborate on what is not backed up by HB. This information is concerning and might lead me to look at other storage solutions.

I simply want to be able to restore everything from a cloud backup this is something that is easily done on other platforms. I cannot find any tutorials or examples of someone restoring their Synology NAS from the cloud. If someone knows of a tutorial, video, or published documents on this process please share.

thanks,

You will be able to restore it the way I wrote before. So you will need to 1st set up a fresh DSM on the new drives in case of a disaster and then install the HB tool. After that, you will be able to restore data and configurations that were initially backed up with HB task.

There is no real "bare metal" restore like with other ent platforms. So you are Configuring your NAS as a fresh NAS with a minimal DSM install, and then recovering from the HB backup.

You will be able to restore it the way I wrote before. So you will need to 1st set up a fresh DSM on the new drives in case of a disaster and then install the HB tool. After that, you will be able to restore data and configurations that were initially backed up with HB task.

There is no real "bare metal" restore like with other ent platforms. So you are Configuring your NAS as a fresh NAS with a minimal DSM install, and then recovering from the HB backup.

thanks, that process seems acceptable, but not ideal in my head. Would be great if there was a kind of recovery boot mode which you could then download a snapshot of a drive and deploy it like that. My concern is what Telos was saying about HB not capturing everything.

The last thing I want is all the 'data' to be there but having to reconfigure the DSM (network settings/shares/user permissions etc...)

From my understanding HB doesn't snapshot the operating system side of things but rather saves selected details, the recovery process then re installs those apps and applies those saved settings. Is this correct?

The last thing I want is all the 'data' to be there but having to reconfigure the DSM (network settings/shares/user permissions etc...)
Those are configured.

With DSM7 you will be able to get almost 100% of the settings as well. So system config can be part of the HB backup process. Also, DSM 7 will allow you to auto-backup configuration to your Synology Account profile, so you don't have to worry about it (works really well).

Essentially you are not booting from snap, but you will get the same result with a decent and regular backup of your configuration.

applied by the recovery process?
This. I mean you will have the option to configure what systems setting you want to backup or not, as well as tester them after.

So you can backup everything but restore just users and their settings for example.

Meant to post this yesterday but got sidetracked.

relink to your HB task and restore all data and all the apps and settings
Well, almost all. Especially for DSM 6's HB.

I apologise to long term members who see me link to this fairly often, but this gives some idea of what is included and what is not.

DSM 7's HB is purported to be less blind on some settings.

Well, you did cut out part of my sentence. I did say "apps and settings that you can initially configure with HB"

I apologise to long term members who see me link to this fairly often, but this gives some idea of what is included and what is not.
top!

Meant to post this yesterday but got sidetracked.

DSM 7's HB is purported to be less blind on some settings.

Ok I've read that entire thread and it was a serious eye opener. You were just trying to upgrade your nas which incidentally replicated a bare metal recovery. What a nightmare, luckily you still had the original disks where all your configurations were still stored.

Using HB is akin to recovering a wiped phone - just copy pasting your files and reinstalling your apps -

Imagine if you have highly customised permissions/settings within those packages - All gone!

I personally don't own a Synology NAS device but was considering purchasing one, so I would normally explore the backup and recovery process before I implement it. I'm a firm believer of preparing for the worst case scenario and being very familiar with all the kinks of the recovery operation before its needed.

From synology's dsm 7.0 press release

backup solutions that combine robust bare-metal data protection with the convenince of the cloud.

I wonder how much of this has changed.

Would the simple solution not be to use hyper backup all your data, and Configuration backup for your DSM config.

Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 14.41.53.jpeg

From synology's dsm 7.0 press release

backup solutions that combine robust bare-metal data protection with the convenince of the cloud.

My guess is that refers to Active Backup for Business which is said to provide bare-metal backups of Win PCs (for example), but not the NAS itself. Otherwise, it is just marketing fluff.

The lack of bare metal backup is a huge gap, particularly as Synology updates cannot be rolled back (officially). I routinely image my Win/Linux machines pre-updating, and I expected that capability when I came to Synology. That was greatly missed the first time I did an HB restore (which, of course, didn't touch the DSM OS).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.