Basic NAS for Synology Photos

NAS
220j
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi,
I currently have a DS220J, which I'm very happy with for file storage/ Cloud / Photos backup / etc... I'm not using Plex or dockers.
I have used synology Photos in the past as well as browsing photos using windows explorer and thumbnails. It was slow but okay.

However, a couple of days ago I tried to browse a large amount of photos and it was just painfully slow for that use-case.
I'm trying to understand what model will offer good enough performance but keeping a budget.

The options I see are:
  • Upgrade to DS223J, 1GB of RAM instead of 512MB and faster processer, but will it be enough? This will be easiest for the pocket.
  • Upgrade to DS220+, which should be fast enought, but almost double the price... so really hesistant about this.
  • Upgrade to DS423, which has 2 GB RAM and four bays, which is an upgrade I will require one day in any case, so it is a much better deal for me than DS220+
  • Upgrade to DS423+, which I think will be best but is expensive
So will the DS223J or DS423 be good enough for Synology photos?
Or do I need a plus model?

Hi,
I currently have a DS220J, which I'm very happy with for file storage/ Cloud / Photos backup / etc... I'm not using Plex or dockers.
I have used synology Photos in the past as well as browsing photos using windows explorer and thumbnails. It was slow but okay.

However, a couple of days ago I tried to browse a large amount of photos and it was just painfully slow for that use-case.
I'm trying to understand what model will offer good enough performance but keeping a budget.

The options I see are:
  • Upgrade to DS223J, 1GB of RAM instead of 512MB and faster processer, but will it be enough? This will be easiest for the pocket.
  • Upgrade to DS220+, which should be fast enought, but almost double the price... so really hesistant about this.
  • Upgrade to DS423, which has 2 GB RAM and four bays, which is an upgrade I will require one day in any case, so it is a much better deal for me than DS220+
  • Upgrade to DS423+, which I think will be best but is expensive
So will the DS223J or DS423 be good enough for Synology photos?
Or do I need a plus model?
I had (actually still have) an old DS213J. It worked ok, but was so awfully slow, I replaced it with a DS220+ with 6GBy RAM a couple of years ago. The DS220+ was hugely faster than the DS213J. I guess the J series are suitable mostly as a suck-it-and-see for functionality, but pretty useless for any serious processing. The DS213J is now used more or less solely as a Hyper Backup Vault for the DS220+, for which purpose it's entirely adequate.

I made the mistake of upgrading the DS220+ to DSM 7.x, which meant I lost Photo Station and gained the utterly useless Synology Photos. I ended up having to install DSM 6.2.4 in a virtual machine on my DS220+ in order to get Photo Station back again. Both the base machine and the VM run really well together and performance is more than enough for me. I have some 23000 photos on the VM, which are really important to me. The DS213J is also a Hyper Backup Vault for the DSM 6.2.4 VM.

You may be able to pick up a used DS220+ or DS218+ at somewhat less than the new price, but ensure you have sufficient RAM for your needs.

Thanks for the info regarding the DS220+
If anyone has knowledge regarding the DS223J / DS423, I would appreciate it - they are at a more affordable price point for me.

Thanks for the info regarding the DS220+
If anyone has knowledge regarding the DS223J / DS423, I would appreciate it - they are at a more affordable price point for me.
Ds423 would be also a significant upgrade compare to the J model. While it’s not as fast as the plus range, and has no option for expansion, it will do the job a lot faster and better considering it’s specs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Old thread notice: There have been no replies in this thread for quite some time. The last reply was on .
The content in this thread may no longer be relevant. It might be better to open a new thread instead.