Currently reading
Battery powered Wireless IP camera?

NAS
DS1815+, DS1819+, DS1522+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I am considering replacing my soon to be outdated home Arlo security system with Surveillance Station, however I am unclear whether or not there are any battery powered wireless cameras that will work. Does anyone have experience with this?

Thank you sir - do you have a specific model number?
Can't say I have, but I have tested at least 5-6 different models over the years and all of them worked. None were battery powered but I see no reason for those types not to work as oppose to a POE one for example.

Also the support was super helpful when I needed a replacement (as I bought them from their web directly), as well as with any questions related to specific configuration. I'm sure they will be able to give you the best answer, but again, I think you will have 0 issues with any of their models when it comes to SVS9 configuration.

Last edited:
Ordered one off the Amazon - should be here today.
All the battery powered cameras from reolink do no not support ONVIF. I doubt you’ll be able to add it to Synology Surveillance.
You should look for cameras that support that protocol.

Thanks, currently have the Blink cameras, they're just about adequate, so looking for something battery operated. Once you've used them for a little while, please can I ask that you come back and let me know what you think of them?

absolutely! This forum has proven helpful in giving me options. I couldn't find any battery powered cameras on Synology's site.
I'm sure there will be some down the line now that they have started to make their own. Curious to see the pricing on that, and even more so, if they will start to lock down that segment as well :unsure:

Arlo sent me a coupon code that expires in July if I were to elect to upgrade and stay with that brand, but I've been eyeballing Surveillance station as it can do more than Arlo, it just hasn't been a cheaper or more affordable option until now.

Following up on this. I was able to add it to my wireless network, and then was able to add it manually by IP address to Surveillance station. the issue at this point is that it will not authenticate via the username and password that I set it up with. Any ideas?

Following up on this. I was able to add it to my wireless network, and then was able to add it manually by IP address to Surveillance station. the issue at this point is that it will not authenticate via the username and password that I set it up with. Any ideas?
Is the password too complex? Have you tried using the default (reset) credentials?

Last edited:
Because there’s no feed to authenticate against. You need the camera to stream on http or rtsp protocol (port 80 or 554). But as they stated they’re not exposing those ports on the camera streaming. The streaming is happening on a proprietary reolink protocol.
If you try on your browser to enter http://your_camera_ip does it prompt for any authentication mask?

Edit: you can even test this from powershell running the command “Test-NetConnection your_camera_ip -Port 80” or 554 for rtsp

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.