best cache setup for pair of ssd cards

NAS
DSM 1621+
Operating system
  1. Linux
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Last edited:
I have used a 512Gb NVMe card for cache, and soon will acquire one more. I have run cache advisor which suggests at least 1Tb for cache. Most of the large operations are reading not writing. Most bulk writes occur through slow transmissions, such as over residential fiber uplink. The system runs a VM which consumes half of the 16Gb system memory, much of which is unused by applications. Thus, some file cache is available through RAM.

Adding the second card, two cache configurations are possible, expanding the read cache or utilizing the redundancy to enable write cache.

Which is recommended?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.