Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hello,
I am totally new in NAS world. My NAS is DS220j with drives:
- Seagate Exos 10TB;
- Seagate Exos 4TB;

And now I have really big headache with configuration all of that. To use RAID1 or to use RAID0? Or to use both drives as a separate basic drives?

I invented my own concept. Please advise me me if it's possible, and if it's good idea at all? Or is there any better and more convinient way to use DS220j?

My concept is to have one drive (4TB) with straight data (projects, documents, music etc.).
And on second drive (10TB) to have Time Machine which would backup both: my Macbook Pro AND 4TB drive with straight data.

I bought NAS little bit accidently. My old drive has just starded to be problematic and too small. That's why I decided to buy new drive. But after some research I found out it would be nice to have access to all data from anywhere and to meet some new technology which I have never used before. And that idea prompted me to buy Synology.

But now I have really big headache, and have no idea how to start with it.

For any help or advice great thanks in advance.
Best Regards

RAID1 or 0 will not be an option for your needs in this case. Go with 2 separate "Basic" drives to get a volume1/2 combination.

From there you will be able to mix things the way you wrote it.

Or is there any better and more convinient way to use DS220j?
If you need that much raw space, separate volumes will be the only option for you considering that you are running with 4 and 10TB drives. Going RAID1 will offer you only 4TB in total in the end and RAID0 is not something you want in your case as well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.