Best ever hint for better home security

Currently reading
Best ever hint for better home security

NAS
Synology, TrueNAS
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
how you get 100% sure no one will hack you from the WAN?
So that on Friday evening after coming home from work, tired, you decide to make adjustments to the FFTx supply and your drill will do so differently than you expected.
The WAN silence was incredible. Not for all family members.
🥃

Over twenty years ago I was putting up curtains, thought I'd check where the electrical wires were. Ended up using a drill to turn the downstairs ring-main (ring being the operative word here) into two spurs. After recent power issues and many RCB trippings we had it investigated and now fixed.

The two holes I managed to make were very neat though.

Murphy’s laws
Especially when you need finish the job and open a cold beer.
But really surprised, that service assurance from Orange (ISP) was fast and furious. Ticket created 7:30pm. New fiber cable delivered 9:30 today. Replaced.

Last edited:
I had the more secure version of Samsung's 970 EVO Plus delivered today. Fast, data secure and totally transparent to the end user:

IMG_2006 copy.JPG

As the label says - "Unreal performance".

Nobody is getting the data off of this one.

That will teach me to buy from Amazon, direct with Amazon. Fraud alert raised and replacement inbound tomorrow.

Is the Samsung password still case-insensitive? I have a much older SSD on another device, and discovered that my "complex" password wasn't so complex.
I'll just check... oh, no I won't. 🤪

Maybe tomorrow as Amazon have emailed a tracking number for a 'replacement' for the empty box. Where do these missing SSDs go to - surely the serial numbers are tracked?

to someone with an idea how to keep the delivery box “lighter”.
tracking of the S/N … is a good idea, but not in this part of universe.
Amazon were kind enough to send me a replacement delivery today, disturbing some Sunday morning slumber... although it was the wife that made it to the door in the first clothes that came to hand.

Different this time though as not even an empty box was in the package, just the thinest of air. Utterly baffling state of affairs. The packaging was one of those book-style cardboard selves that are kind of open at the top and bottom. I guess it could have been knocked out during transit but just plain stolen looks more likely. I can only hope the thief was disappointed with just a 500GB SSD.

Third go tomorrow.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Trending threads

Back