Currently reading
Best HD to use for backups

NAS
DS1515+ 8Gb Ram
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I bought a USB 3.0 to SATA External Hard Drive Lay-Flat Docking Station for 2.5 or 3.5in HDD to use
as a Backup device. I was wondering what’s the best type of HD to put in this. It was only going to
be used for Backups via Hyper-Backup so can I just use normal pc HDs or the same type in my NAS like
a WD Red Plus SATA 3.5" HDD

Any good quality Sata drive will do...
Thanks I might as well get another same type NAS HD Im using (WD Pro Red) but a bigger storage one and use this in future in my NAS (when its needed) and replace the backup with a bigger backup HD. At least it will not be wasted

Upvote 0
NAS drives may not be the best for USB use.

You'll lack TLER error recovery with NAS drives. In a RAID situation, that is not a concern with data redundancy, but for USB/PC use, the lack of TLER correction could result in file corruption.

IIRC, Synology HAT drive warranty only applies to NAS use. YMMV.

Upvote 0
NAS drives may not be the best for USB use.

You'll lack TLER error recovery with NAS drives. In a RAID situation, that is not a concern with data redundancy, but for USB/PC use, the lack of TLER correction could result in file corruption.

IIRC, Synology HAT drive warranty only applies to NAS use. YMMV.

well it was just cost and not wanting to waste HD. It was only going to be used in a USB 3.0 to SATA caddy to do backups nothing else then when the time was right. I would get a newer/bigger HD then use this older one in my NAS as have 2 spare bays and will need more HDs to build up my SHR. I thought this was the easy option for cost and not wasting HDs/money.

I suppose if I saw I was getting errors I would take it out and use a better HD

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.