DSM 7.1 Best practice/app to take file backups from Windows to NAS?

Currently reading
DSM 7.1 Best practice/app to take file backups from Windows to NAS?

Depending on how exactly you want to be able to view previous versions, you could use the File History feature built into Windows. I do this with my documents folders etc (you can select whichever folders you want) on a W10 laptop and it works perfectly. Means you can easily view previous versions of a file or folder just by right clicking it and selecting the tab. You can also set the backup frequency (12 hours) and retention schedule (30 days) exactly as you mentioned.

Syncback free would be another option...

I've used this for at least a decade, it's excellent.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Similar threads

• Solved
The whole thing is, right now I have 2 nas backing up 1 nas so 3 total.... I feel a little silly...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I have just picked out a memory stick and tried creating new folders on Mac and Windows machines. The file...
Replies
Views
  • Question
@dslamguy Hey David, perhaps the amount of questions I asked was a bit overwhelming, but could you please...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks. Comments really help understand the risk and steps. I'll have NAS2 as local hyper back up to, and...
Replies
Views
It is but it doesn't support hyper-v with Windows 10 as a host - found it the hard way. I also tried to...
Replies
Views
So this is a Win10 machine? I use Macrium Reflect for drive cloning.
Replies
Views
I'm a software architect, semi-retired into IT in a commercial Win environment. I have been using Veeam...
Replies
Views

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Trending threads

Back