Currently reading
DSM 7.0 Best practice to changing Raid10 to Raid6

NAS
DS224+, RS820+, DS718+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I have a production unit RS820+ on the latest DSM 7 version running on RAID 10. I’d like some information, best practices, what to watch for, on going from RAID 10 to RAID 6.

My plan is to create an entire local backup using hyper backup. Delete the storage pool/volume and re-create it as RAID6, then do a restore of the hyper backup?

The U.S. Navy Seals have a saying... "Two is one and one is none." This idea, simply put, means that only having one of something may turn out to be the same as not having it at all - and having two of any item may be the same as what you think having one means. If you have the resources, a second backup is always a good idea. Ron (known for wearing a belt and suspenders)!

Upvote 0
The U.S. Navy Seals have a saying... "Two is one and one is none." This idea, simply put, means that only having one of something may turn out to be the same as not having it at all - and having two of any item may be the same as what you think having one means. If you have the resources, a second backup is always a good idea. Ron (known for wearing a belt and suspenders)!

I have a HB job that goes offsite to another location. I created the local HB job so that a restore wont take hours trying to pull it from the remote location. Thanks for the lookout tho!
-- post merged: --

You are on the right track.

In DSM 7 if I do a full HyperBackup, along with leveraging the configuration backup to the Synology Account, will everything be restored completely?

I know there was some limitations in DSM 6 where not everything is backed up and not everything would have been restored. I know this is changing in DSM 7. Question here is, has this been fully implemented or is that on DSM 7.1, and should I wait until then?

Upvote 0
Question here is, has this been fully implemented or is that on DSM 7.1, and should I wait until then?
Full metal restore is coming in 7.1 via Active Backup. Atm partial restore is possible by mixing various apps and settings backups

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.