Best set up to reduce ransomware risks, using Hyper Backup and Cloud

Currently reading
Best set up to reduce ransomware risks, using Hyper Backup and Cloud

Last edited:
Hi, I'm looking for a low cost disaster recovery with off-site cloud storage, with the lowest risks from a ransomware attack on NAS. So, if the prime NAS files became toxic, there is best protection when using the cloud as part of the recovery solution.

My scenario, is NAS1 Hyper Backups (and compresses) to NAS2 in a Hyper Backup Vault, so checking what is best way to then backup to the cloud to then best avoid ransomware? Prime data is about 1.5TB (with some large individual work files about 10GB each).

As much as that method would work you can also utilize the Snapshot replication package on your primary NAS device to create read-only replicas of your data.

Once the HB data has been backed up to the secondary NAS you can use that data to back it up into the could (C2 for example), or even do the same from your main NAS.

Upvote 0
For 1.5 TB, you might consider iDrive or the like, with their own app.
I personally can recommend Hidrive as hyperbackup target as well, it has (I am in Europe) much better up/down speed than idrive.
Each decent cloud is ok, as long as you use versioning.

Upvote 0
Thanks. Definably need to upgrade the NAS1 to allow Btrfs and run snapshop replication. Hadn't appreciated that this makes "read only" versions that could be safe from some ransomware attacks (and assuming the NAS system files weren't lost in the attack). That gives a quick local roll back option. As work files are about 10GB each in size, it will need some thought on version retention and overall disk space needed.

Sadly, hidrvise is too expensive (£20/month) above 1TB. Not yet found a simpler/cheaper offer than Backblaze B2 (with synology integration.) at $0.005 / GB / month. for just over I TB of data. Download access costs not as critical as it is a disaster recovery solution.

Upvote 0
For your storage needs, your most cost effective ransomware protection would be a pair of external hard drives. Set them as your backup location for Hyper Backup. Then swap between them every week / month so that there will always be one off-line backup that is relatively up to date.

Upvote 0
Thanks. Comments really help understand the risk and steps. I'll have NAS2 as local hyper back up to, and I'll rotate external hard disks kept in a fire proof case as another hyperback up. Once operational, I can assess if the extra benefits of an additional cloud hyperback up.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.