DS720+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi there,

I just moved internet providers and am now back on a dynamic IP address (after many years with a static IP address).

I host a few web sites using my DS 720+ and wondered what the best approach to DDNS is. I have set up the Synology DDNS and have a synology.me address which works fine. Obviously I cannot change the domains DNS A record to point to this, and a frame redirect will be a bit clunky.

I did wonder if there was an 'DDNS updater' package that would push my latest IP address to my domain host (Ionos). I see this can be done on other platforms.

Any suggestions on the best strategy would be much appreciated. Even if I could get a notification from the NAS if the IP address changes then that would be sufficient (I don't mind logging into Ionos and updating A records every now and again).

Cheers,

Mark

I just use Synology DDNS to update my xxxx.synology.me domain, and then on my external domain I set my WWW record to point to xxxx.synology.me. Simple, easy, and it works for me :)
Plus no need to docker etc.
Hi there,

Thanks both for your replies. Cloudflare looks like a project for a rainy day, and I have a lot of other projects to get through unfortunately! That said, Ionos also has an API so I wonder if there is a linux updater script out there for that?

As for a URL redirect, surely that is not going to work for multiple domains, and does it show the original URL when viewing the site after the redirect?

It's not URL redirect it's DNS resolution. You can create CNAME records which are like aliases to other DNS records (A, CNAME).

For example, you have a private domain 'mydomain.com' and also Synology DDNS of mynas.synology.me. You want to use 'www.mydomain.com' to access the NAS web service from the Internet. So you create a CNAME record at your 'mydomain.com' DNS provider that points 'www' to 'mynas.synology.me'.

The NAS web service still needs to have its SSL certificate include 'www.mydomain.com', if you are using HTTPS, otherwise the web browser will raise an alert.

Even if I could get a notification from the NAS if the IP address changes then that would be sufficient (I don't mind logging into Ionos and updating A records every now and again).
This may not work as well as you would like. For static DNS records they may take some time for the update to become globally available. It used to be stated that it can take up to 3 days.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. In fact I did a search on here before and read about CNAME and somebody else said it didn't work (so I discounted it without trying).... Just did a reset of the domain, and added the CNAME record so just waiting to see if it takes....

One thing to note, it will only work on subdomains (for IONOS), but guess that is good enough for the www sites...

Just to revisit this. Seems the A record remains unaffected, so I might still look at options for updating Ionos using their API as a catch all for traffic that is not using the www subdomain.

Is this your service provider?

If it is then you can use Ionos for DDNS, you just have to work out how to initiate the update. It may work as a customer DDNS provider in Control Panel or you might have to script it.

Yeah, that's it. Just re-read that and maybe it is simpler than I thought. Perhaps the chron job will suffice?

Just to update. Had to contact IONOS for them to enable the developers API, which they enabled for free and almost instantaneously. Followed their own instructions without issue, then set up a Scheduled Task for every hour using the curl -X GET your_url example for manual updating. Seems to work well from what I can see.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

I just use Synology DDNS to update my xxxx.synology.me domain, and then on my external domain I set my WWW record to point to xxxx.synology.me. Simple, easy, and it works for me :)
Plus no need to docker etc.
I wish i could get mine working the same, moved to a dynamic ip and now cant get anything to work lol Did you follow a guide or you clever enough to just figure it out...

I just worked it out myself..... I assume you have the Synology DDNS set up and working? As said above I just added a CNAME to the domain mysite.mydomain.com and pointed that at the xxxx.synology.me domain.

Adding the CNAME records for the www subdomain worked straight away for me. Getting the A records updated using the IONOS API took a little longer, but was simple enough and good instructions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back