Currently reading
Best way to create 3 needed shares/folders

NAS
Synology 918+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Well I can say that both od my 918 and 718 are great plex boxes. Multiple local and remote users, no problem. It will be even better when the main load from 918 is migrated to RS models.
@Rusty I agree on Synology being a great Plex solution but I have a question, on my DS918+ and that is once initially setup [formatted, raid set, etc] how best to go from just having "Volume 1" show up in Storage Manager to having a proper file structure for what I am about to describe.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to create 3 needed shares/folders? i.e. Backup, Media and Surveillance. It would be nice to know how best to set that up. Currently I set up my DS918+ NAS with [3] 4TB drives as 1 volume [SHR]. I then installed HyperBackup and Plex. I'm not sure I should have done that FIRST. I'm moving from a Netgear ReadNAS Pro6 that is end of life. There, I created 3 shares i.e. Media [for photos, videos/films, Music], Backup, and finally CAM [for Security Spy, a software NVR]. Sooooo.....my question is, should I reformat or delete the current volume on my DS918+, recreate it, then create the 3 aforementioned folders [Media,Backup, CAM] then install HyperBackup and Plex? Then go through the Plex setup wizard, "Add media" [from my old ReadyNAS] to the share called Media [with appropriate sub folders as needed], then setup HyperBack and SecuritySpy to point to those respective folders [i.e. Backup and CAM] on the Synology? OR do "something else" with my current setup? I think once I get advice on how to do this initial setup I'll be "good to go". Thank you again!!!

@Rusty I agree on Synology being a great Plex solution but I have a question, on my DS918+ and that is once initially setup [formatted, raid set, etc] how best to go from just having "Volume 1" show up in Storage Manager to having a proper file structure for what I am about to describe.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to create 3 needed shares/folders? i.e. Backup, Media and Surveillance. It would be nice to know how best to set that up. Currently I set up my DS918+ NAS with [3] 4TB drives as 1 volume [SHR]. I then installed HyperBackup and Plex. I'm not sure I should have done that FIRST. I'm moving from a Netgear ReadNAS Pro6 that is end of life. There, I created 3 shares i.e. Media [for photos, videos/films, Music], Backup, and finally CAM [for Security Spy, a software NVR]. Sooooo.....my question is, should I reformat or delete the current volume on my DS918+, recreate it, then create the 3 aforementioned folders [Media,Backup, CAM] then install HyperBackup and Plex? Then go through the Plex setup wizard, "Add media" [from my old ReadyNAS] to the share called Media [with appropriate sub folders as needed], then setup HyperBack and SecuritySpy to point to those respective folders [i.e. Backup and CAM] on the Synology? OR do "something else" with my current setup? I think once I get advice on how to do this initial setup I'll be "good to go". Thank you again!!!
Hello,

you have done nothing wrong. Setting up a a volume and then root shared folders is the way to go. In most cases some apps won’t even install without a single shared folder.

There is no right or wrong way when it comes to order of installing and app. If you want to configure plex 1st and then work your way towards HB or surveillance station its all up to you.

How you will create root shared folders, name them etc, is also up to you. Again some apps will even create root folders on their own (like plex will) and in some cases you don’t even have to use them (not in case of Plex though).

If you have any more question post back. Lots of people here with experience.

Hello,

you have done nothing wrong. Setting up a a volume and then root shared folders is the way to go. In most cases some apps won’t even install without a single shared folder.

There is no right or wrong way when it comes to order of installing and app. If you want to configure plex 1st and then work your way towards HB or surveillance station its all up to you.

How you will create root shared folders, name them etc, is also up to you. Again some apps will even create root folders on their own (like plex will) and in some cases you don’t even have to use them (not in case of Plex though).

If you have any more question post back. Lots of people here with experience.
Well this is good news! So, if I read you correctly are you saying just create 3 more folders Media, Backup and Surveillance wherever I want and then take it from there? I've attached a screenshot of my current File Station and Storage Manager view. Would you propose that I create a folder called Backup under NetBackup, Media under Plex or just create all 3 folders [ Media, Backup and Surveillance ] under "homes"? I'm the sole user so I probably don't even need "Enable User Home Service" box ticked? Thank you everyone here I really appreciate it!

FileStation_Storage_Mgr.jpeg

I create a folder called Backup under NetBackup, Media under Plex or just create all 3 folders [ Media, Backup and Surveillance ] under "homes"?
No need to push anything under "homes". You can make them in root as well or as subfolders (up to you) but I would recommend not to mess with Plex root folder. That's the Plex server folder and its DB, meta etc... if you want you can create Media folder(s) (movie, tv shows etc) somewhere else in root of your volume. Using Plex UI you can target to those locations no matter where they are, no need to push them in the default Plex root.

Also you will avoid any potential problem with Plex upgrades, permissions etc.

just small add-on to Rusty clear recommendation
for your better control of NAS space "eaters" you need avoid home folders only/mainly usage
when you will prepare clean Shared folders structure - follow your needs - you will better organize:
- data management (data for local usage, data for share trough internet, ...)
- backup and restore of them
- file sync (Drive, Cloud sync, ...)
- and more
Then your additional data security will grow up.

No need to push anything under "homes". You can make them in root as well or as subfolders (up to you) but I would recommend not to mess with Plex root folder. That's the Plex server folder and its DB, meta etc... if you want you can create Media folder(s) (movie, tv shows etc) somewhere else in root of your volume. Using Plex UI you can target to those locations no matter where they are, no need to push them in the default Plex root.

Also you will avoid any potential problem with Plex upgrades, permissions etc.
Under the name of the Synology NAS are the various other folders. I tried highlighting that name (root directory?) and creating a folder but when I did, the "Create" button is greyed out. Am I mis-stating what the root folder is? Or maybe "home" is the root folder? Sorry for the N00b questions. "homes" if I'm not mistaken is if you want multiple user accounts? Since I am the only user maybe I should untick that box, so it doesn't appear? Thx

Actually... you can create shared folders from witin File Station...

w2eoHta.png
Thank you very much for all of this. I'm guessing they have to be Shared Folders vs just a folder for all cases? Ok, I've started copying files over from my Netgear ReadNAS Pro6 To the Media folder on the Synology and interestingly all the files seemed to have copied over correctly despite a message from the Synology about illegal characters. [see attachments] I don't see any weird ones in the source filenames as I'm pretty conscious of avoiding them e.g. ( ), :, ._, etc. File Task Monitor says "99%" along with "Failed" [due to illegal characters] BUT everything seems to be there. Another odd thing, I see a .AppleDouble folder inside every folder. I'm guessing Synology added that? OR the ReadNAS had those but they were hidden by my Mac OS but get revealed on the Synology? I was going to go in and Delete all those .AppleDouble folders thinking maybe that is what Synology is bitching about. Before I do that I plan on pointing plex to these media files then go to my LG TV and see if Plex there can play them. Thanks

Attachments

• Apple Double folder_everywhere.jpeg
    Apple Double folder_everywhere.jpeg
    66.3 KB · Views: 69
  • Illegal Characters.jpeg
    Illegal Characters.jpeg
    31.4 KB · Views: 69
  • Apple Double folder_huh.jpeg
    Apple Double folder_huh.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 44
  • File Task Monitor.jpeg
    File Task Monitor.jpeg
    21.4 KB · Views: 58
My Synology colleagues...OK, got my folders setup. First I copied My "Media" folder over from my Netgear ReadyNAS to my Synology and inside every folder was a .AppleDouble folder and an error message from Synology file transfer about illegal characters. Not sure what that .AppleDouble folder is all about. Well, I looked at all the media that copied over and it all looks like its there and I didn't see any illegal characters in any of the file names so i don't know what that is all about BUT it might be related to my Plex issue. I log into Plex, it sees the Plex server running on Synology and when I set up my library to tell it where my media is: [/volume1/Media1/Videos/Movies] [Note: under "Movies" are further sub folders for HD and SD and under "Videos" in addition to "Movies" are folders for "Novelty" and "TV". Plex just seems to just "sit there" and by that I mean I don't see it populating with any thumbnails of the movies I have in there. Therefore I can not play them out. If this is not the right area of the forum to post, please LMK. So currently I'm just trying to get Plex to recognize my movie files.

Plex just seems to just "sit there" and by that I mean I don't see it populating with any thumbnails of the movies I have in there.
Do you see the moves at all (blank thumbnails)? Did you map Plex movies library to your movies folder path? Are you using the Plex naming convention for your movies, or did you just dump them in the same folder?

As @Telos said, Plex can be really picky @Mediatech1. Make sure NOT to mix your movies, other videos and tvshows in the same folder/subfolder. Reason for this is that Plex is using a different meta source for each library type, so if you tell it that you are running movies in a library but that shared folder contains other content types, they will not be detected.

If this is the case, change it and use the Plex KB to see how the naming convention should be used.

On top of this make sure that Plex DSM account (called plex) has read permissions on the source material folders on your NAS. Without it crawl will not work.

Do you see the moves at all (blank thumbnails)? Did you map Plex movies library to your movies folder path? Are you using the Plex naming convention for your movies, or did you just dump them in the same folder?
Hi @Telos @Rusty here's the deal. The folder structure I had on my Netgear ReadyNAS Pro6 worked fine for Plex. Please see my attachment for a screen shot. And when I was using it, everything was cool e.g. the app on my Android phone could play out, as well as I could see everything when I logged into my Plex account in the web interface. So, I'm relying on that fact and that if I just copy them lock, stock and barrel over to the Synology I should be good. However, maybe I should delete all of the media I copied over, make one folder, put one movie file in there and see if that works. I know I'm "close" but no cigar..........yet. @Rusty I will double check Plex DSM has read permissions. Just did.......Interesting!! it says "custom" under permissions. Now, I didn't opt for that, I just did a plain install of Plex. Is that what it should be? [see screenshot.] . Thanks guys!

Attachments

• Plex Media Folder structure.jpeg
    Plex Media Folder structure.jpeg
    16.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Plex permissions.jpeg
    Plex permissions.jpeg
    31.5 KB · Views: 29
see my attachment for a screen shot
That folder structure doesn't show the entire movie path, so nothing can be inferred, good or bad. What is the purpose of segregating movies by HD or SD? Seems unnecessary.

You shouldn't be using "custom" permissions. Plex should have basic RO permissions on the video folder.

Sre you using Plex from plex.tv or from the Synology Package Center?

You also should be using a "user" account for yourself (maybe it's there, and you excluded from the screenshot).

@Rusty @Telos Wow this is great stuff. @Rusty, rather than migrating plex setup from the Netgear to the Synology, for the sake of expediency, it might be more prudent to just create new folders on the Synology and copy the movie files over. @Telos you're right, no need to segregate SD from HD! Not sure why I did that. RE: "custom" permissions. Have no idea how that got there. Roger that on "RO" [Read Only] permissions. RE: Plex. Got it from Synology Package Center. I do recall a YouTube video that stated getting it from Plex.tv directly was another method. I take it that is preferred? If so, I'll uninstall, download from plex.tv and reinstall. My account is admin, since I am the only one using this stuff. RE: "That folder structure doesn't show the entire movie path, so nothing can be inferred, good or bad." Since volume1 is my Synology volume and Media1 is the folder I want to contain all my media i.e. movies, pictures, music, what is the suggested folder structure/path for "Movies" if not:

/volume1/Media1/Videos/Movies ?

That's all I want Plex for i.e. movie content whether hanbraked from DVD, BDs I own or video I've downloaded that are not DRM'd. I play out music from my Sonos system. [guess that doesn't preclude Plex from playing my music library remotely but I rarely would do that]. Maybe I should delete all the current folders on the Synology under Movies and just dump all the movies [starting with just one to see if that works] under "Movies" and not create subfolders for Home Movies, Novelty, etc? Or maybe create those in the "Add library" in Plex? Doh! Is there a way to completely reformat the volume1 in the event uninstalls/reinstalls, permissions whatever get all goofed up such that starting from scratch might be a prudent move? I can't thank you enough for helping me wade through all of this!

take it that is preferred
Indeed

/volume1/Media1/Videos/Movies ?
Its ok just make sure that you only have movies in that folder not tvshows or custom videos/movies

Or maybe create those in the "Add library" in Plex?
That’s the way just before that make sure that that content on the syno side is in their separate folders

Is there a way to completely reformat the volume1 in the event uninstalls/reinstalls, permissions whatever get all goofed up such that starting from scratch might be a prudent move
In KB article on their support page you have steps how to reset you DSM and start fresh

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.