Best way to create 3 needed shares/folders

Currently reading
Best way to create 3 needed shares/folders

I do recall a YouTube video that stated getting it from Plex.tv directly was another method. I take it that is preferred?
Generally yes. BUT... Plex is having some transcoding issues. Basically, there is significant pixelation in the first 30 seconds or so of live transcoding. An experimental release seems to have fixed that, but it's not yet in the official release. So... the current stable version oddly is the Synology Package Center version (O my!).

To move between the plex.tv and Package Center versions, it is recommended to uninstall before "upgrading" (uninstall is always required to downgrade).

I don't know what file structure works for you, but I use...

\\NAS\video\movies\American Factory (2019)\American Factory (2019).mkv

\\NAS\video\tv shows\Band Of Brothers\Season 01\Band of Brothers - s01e01 - Currahee.mkv

\\NAS\video\concerts\...

\\NAS\video\home video\...

\\NAS\video\misc\...

I have a separate shared folder ("optimized") where Plex stores pre-transcoded videos (Plex has RW here).

Generally yes. BUT... Plex is having some transcoding issues. Basically, there is significant pixelation in the first 30 seconds or so of live transcoding. An experimental release seems to have fixed that, but it's not yet in the official release. So... the current stable version oddly is the Synology Package Center version (O my!).

To move between the plex.tv and Package Center versions, it is recommended to uninstall before "upgrading" (uninstall is always required to downgrade).

I don't know what file structure works for you, but I use...

\\NAS\video\tv shows\Band Of Brothers\Season 01\Band of Brothers - s01e01 - Currahee.mkv

\\NAS\video\concerts\...

\\NAS\video\misc\...

I have a separate shared folder ("optimized") where Plex stores pre-transcoded videos (Plex has RW here).

@Rusty @Telos

1. So……Uninstall Plex from Synology and reinstall Plex from plex.tv [prefered] OR based on @Telos comment here**, stick with the Synology install?:

**“Generally yes. BUT... Plex is having some transcoding issues. Basically, there is significant pixelation in the first 30 seconds or so of live transcoding. An experimental release seems to have fixed that, but it's not yet in the official release. So... the current stable version oddly is the Synology Package Center version (O my!).”

2. RE: /volume1/Media1/Videos/Movies

“Its ok just make sure that you only have movies in that folder not tvshows or custom videos/movies”

Or maybe create those in the "Add library" in Plex?

“That’s the way, just before that, make sure that that content on the syno side is in their separate folders”

That last statement ties into @Telos recommendations on file structure:

“I don't know what file structure works for you, but I use...

\\NAS\video\concerts\...
\\NAS\video\misc\.”

Does that mean start with a “Movies” folder first. Drop a movie in there see if it plays out, gives thumbnail etc. THEN create another folder on the Syno side called “TV shows” then in Plex “add library”, select “TV Shows” and browse to said folder on the synology, just created for TV shows? Repeat for all other categories using Plex’s “Other videos” library category for all the other sub categories e.g. concerts, home video, misc.

3. Re: “I have a separate shared folder ("optimized") where Plex stores pre-transcoded videos (Plex has RW here).”

Can you elaborate a bit on this statement? All the discs I own that I rip via Handbrake are .mkv. Wouldn’t that be considered pre-transcoded, such that when they are dropped into their appropriate folder it’s less intense on the synology from a hardware/software decode perspective?

I'm assuming ALL folders created on the syno side should be shared? Is that because it allows other services to access them or is it allowing other user?

@Rusty @Telos This is a link to the exact issue I'm having. This guy TommyFlix as well as a few others are experiencing it too.

Now.......I noticed that the latest Synology update for direct download from plex.tv is available while the update for the DS Synology is not. So.........now I'm wondering if I should uninstall my DS Plex then download this latest update:

PlexMediaServer-1.18.5.2309-f5213a238-x86_64.spk

He came up with a workaround:

"I got it working now by moving all my files to a new folder i just created with same permissions as my screenshots. I then in the plex server pointed all the folders to the new folder.

I suspect it could have something to do with that i used the default /video folder that is also used by the DS Video app"

I don't know what the DS Video app is that he is referring to. I have not installed that, FWIW.

Thoughts?

Current test version that seems to solve pixelation when transcoding and some other issues is PlexMediaServer-1.18.6.2349-f0bf4dd50-x86_64.spk.

These fixes will be in the next beta for 1.18.7...

Too many questions to reply in any manner... let's fix one thing at a time...

Can you elaborate a bit on this statement? All the discs I own that I rip via Handbrake are .mkv. Wouldn’t that be considered pre-transcoded, such that when they are dropped into their appropriate folder it’s less intense on the synology from a hardware/software decode perspective?

Let's say that your MKV file stream at 12Mbps/1080p, but you are away from home and your wifi connection barely eeks out 2Mbps... So... you use Plex's "Optimize" feature to transcode the video to 1.5Mbps/480p. You can do that on the fly with Plex, or to reduce buffering, you can set up Plex to pre-transcode the videos you want to see, so they are streamed without live transcoding. When Plex does that, it needs RW privileges to save its 1.5Mbps/480p output to your NAS, so it is available when you need it.

Or maybe that MKV file contains an EAC3 audio codec which your player can't deal with. Again, Plex's Optimize feature can sort that out for you by creating a video file with an AAC codec instead.

Optimize allows you to shift the transcoding to a time when you are not streaming.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.