NAS
DS3617xs
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I am wondering what the best way is to temporarily move about 8TB to my other NAS in a way that doesnt change the time/date stamp. I need to change the disc layout of the primary NAS.

If i just move then from shared folder to shared folder this will create a new time/date for the files.

Is hyper backup the way to go? I wanna be sure before i mess up 8TB of files.

Use HB with server single-file method (that is rsync engine) should work just fine. If that won't work, a simple scheduled task with: rsync --times source/ destination/. That switch should retain time stamps.
You not sure if HB will keep time stamp?

You not sure if HB will keep time stamp?
It will. As I said, using the rsync copy (single-version) HB method will retain this:

Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 11.48.25.png

By default this check box will make this happen (Enable metadata backup):

Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 11.46.23.png

With this, all time stamps will remain identical.

Last edited:
Thanks for the screens. Rsync isnt immediately visible i was look for single version via Hyper Backup option :)
-- post merged: --

@Rusty, i did like you showed me.. but all the folders have got the date 25th of march with time from 12.25 , 12.26 etc. the files that are not in a folder do have the correct stamp. But all the created folders don't.

Thanks for the screens. Rsync isnt immediately visible i was look for single version via Hyper Backup option :)
-- post merged: --

@Rusty, i did like you showed me.. but all the folders have got the date 25th of march with time from 12.25 , 12.26 etc. the files that are not in a folder do have the correct stamp. But all the created folders don't.
Well, that is expected. Considering that the folders on the target side do not exist they have to be created. All data inside it should have the exact original date, including subfolders.

Can you share a screen of the original structure, date, and the same on the target side (or part of it)?

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/240728/preserve-date-modified-on-directories-folders-with-rsync
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/61586/how-to-tell-rsync-to-preserve-time-stamp-on-files-when-source-tree-has-a-mounted

I have completed the process, it does work! i don't know how syno does it but also the folders get the correct time/date stamp in the end.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.