best ways to sync sahred folders between 2 synology NAS in different networks

Currently reading
best ways to sync sahred folders between 2 synology NAS in different networks

NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
We have 3 offices with no vpn connection between the 2. However they both have internet .

1. I need to sync a shared folder from Office1 to Office2 - One way sync.

2. I need to setup snapshot replication between Office1 and Office3. This does not work, I have punched holes on my firewall but for some reason when I give connection details it says cannot establish connection. What am I doing wrong? What ports I need to open? How do I know the ports for doing this correctly. it works perfectly fine within the same LAN but when i move it outside the LAN, the connection cannot be established.

Appreciate if you can help me the best ways to get the above done.

Thanks in advance.

1. I need to sync a shared folder from Office1 to Office2 - One way sync.
Shared Folder Sync will do it, and for a 2way use Synology Drive ShareSync

I need to setup snapshot replication between Office1 and Office3.
So you opened some ports, but then again are asking what ports are needed? For the destination side, you need to open your DSM port and SR port. So whatever your DSM port on the Office 3 side and 5566/tcp for SR are needed.

Also with SR you can use advanced settings to customize the ports if you have changed the DSM port for example.

Screenshot 2021-08-19 at 19.58.00.png

@Rusty

Please see below my settings on the destination server, do we need to populate these settings for the remote replication to work? I am able to connect to the destination server using QuickConnect but remote replication does not work.

DSM_001.png

DSM_002.png

@Rusty

Please see below my settings on the destination server, do we need to populate these settings for the remote replication to work? I am able to connect to the destination server using QuickConnect but remote replication does not work.

View attachment 4245

View attachment 4246
No need to change those values or rather populate them just focus on your destination side port forward in your router to configure those ports and then try.

@Rusty

i managed to connect to the destination server. However I get an error now saying destination server failed to connect to this server. Do we need to punch on holes on both LANs?

@Rusty

we have no vpn between the 2 offices and yet it takes the local IP of the DSM. The DSM has an public ip assigned using synology.me

The only firewall we have is at the destination, for which we have opened the ports.

Any ideas why its using the local IP and not the public IP? I get the same result when I manually change to the public IP

@Rusty

we have no vpn between the 2 offices and yet it takes the local IP of the DSM. The DSM has an public ip assigned using synology.me

The only firewall we have is at the destination, for which we have opened the ports.

Any ideas why its using the local IP and not the public IP? I get the same result when I manually change to the public IP
So you have configured the destination side with the public ddns name (xxxx.synology.me). From the image, I guess it's registering a problem with DSM port on the source side.

@Rusty

I finally got this to work. The ports need to be open on both Source & destination. Also, we need to use public IP for both source & destination.

However, I have a networking question for you, appreciate if you can help.

we have 2 NAS boxes in one office. We use DyDNS and have a dynamic public IP. while setting the DDNS for the NAS boxes both of them have the same public ip.

when i click on the quickconnet or ddns external links, i am taken to NAS02.

I used the below link to open the ports on my Sonicwall NSA 2600 Sonicwall Port Forwarding and LAN WAN Rules Basics - Network Antics

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.