Beta of Container Manger

Currently reading
Beta of Container Manger

Has anyone installed this new Beta of Container Manger from Synology yet? If you have is it working okay? it has 23 downloads so far!

Atrisk...

Screenshot 2024-05-28 at 11.39.45 AM.png

Not being able to edit ports, etc., without duplication is a huge turn off. Must Synology munge everything it undertakes? Whatever happened to "best in class"? Oh, wait... That was never a thing.

Docker is still quite out of date, even with this "update".

Those features were either never contributed to the Moby upstream repository, or they simply haven't been accepted.

It is vanilla Docker behavior. Which might give hope that Synology finally starts to use a vanilla Docker engine under the hood. On the other hand, seeing version 24.0.2 (released on 2023-05-26), instead of version 26.1.3 (released on 2024-05-16) indicates that it still might not be the case.

Last edited:
Which might give hope that Synology finally starts to use a vanilla Docker engine under the hood
Another aspect that might indicate it is that the swarm mode finally works!
It is the first Synology docker/cm release ever(!) where the swarm mode is working :)

Of course, there is no real swarm service integration in the container manager, as it treats every replica as an individual container, and isn't aware of the swarm service concept at all. But from the cli and Portainer, it finally is a full-blown docker engine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.