BitWarden - self hosted password manager using bitwardenrs/server image

Docker BitWarden - self hosted password manager using bitwardenrs/server image

Currently reading
Docker BitWarden - self hosted password manager using bitwardenrs/server image

NAS
DS718+
OK, this image is a no go for me. It failed importing my bitwarden vault json, got an "unexpected error". So reverting back to the multi container version.

Rusty

NAS Support
www.blackvoid.club
NAS
DS412+, DS718+, DS918+, 2x RS3614RPxs+ with expansions
Router
RT1900ac, RT2600ac, MR2200ac
you might want to add this in the tutorial so docker noobs like myself won't be lost
Well this falls in a general Docker category so we will make this in a separate resource

NAS
DS718+
I also tried with the Biitwarden csv export and import and again got an error and only half of it was imported. This is really a showstopper when I cannot migrate my data from the multi container version of bitwarden to this version...

Are there any other options achieving this?

Pfff, even exporting from multi container bitwarden, then importing in Keepass, exporting from Keepass and importing keepas XML in Bitwarden RS gives an error. Seems something structurally wrong with the import. The log doesn't give any extra info either...

Last edited:
Did you try to add some entries in bitwardenrs/server, export them and check if the csv structure is any different?
I would be surprised as ultimately an official bitwarden client (the ui in the container is nothing else) is used to export/import the vault.

NAS
DS918+ ; EATON Ellipse PRO 1200FR
Operating system
Windows
Mobile operating system
Android
exporting from Keepass and importing keepas XML in Bitwarden RS gives an error
I have migrated from keepass to BitWarden_RS without any issue.
If I remember right, I exported in csv from keepass and imported this csv in BitWarden_RS.
And also tried the import of a BitWarden_RS json export in Keepass and it also worked well.
Maybe you can try to export from your mutli container BitWarden in json and import this json in the BitWarden_RS server ? I see you already did this... sorry

NAS
DS718+
I maybe will try it category by category, there might be some weird field value in their that makes it fail. Or it's too big (which I would really doubt).

NAS
DS918+ ; EATON Ellipse PRO 1200FR
Operating system
Windows
Mobile operating system
Android
Or it's too big (which I would really doubt)
How many entries do you have ?
My vault has 150+ entries with a few custom fields.
Most of the entries were already existing (even custom fields) in my keepass DB and everything was imported as intended. I also have nested directories to sort these entries.
Were you able to import your BW export into Keepass ?

NAS
DS718+
Thanks for the help. Tried most of the above.

Apparently it's a size thing. I have more than 300 records. I had to split it up in sets of around 100 entries to make the import work. Still a pretty lousy import algorithm if you ask me, that it simple quits with an unexpected error...

And I'm on a DS718+ with 8 GB RAM, you would say that's more than decent enough.

Rusty

NAS Support
www.blackvoid.club
NAS
DS412+, DS718+, DS918+, 2x RS3614RPxs+ with expansions
Router
RT1900ac, RT2600ac, MR2200ac
Thanks for the help. Tried most of the above.

Apparently it's a size thing. I have more than 300 records. I had to split it up in sets of around 100 entries to make the import work. Still a pretty lousy import algorithm if you ask me, that it simple quits with an unexpected error...

And I'm on a DS718+ with 8 GB RAM, you would say that's more than decent enough.
Well at least you got it all imported. Definitely agree that this limit should be raised. Not like there is a huge amount of heavy data involved

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Latest posts