BitWarden - self hosted password manager using vaultwarden/server image

Docker BitWarden - self hosted password manager using vaultwarden/server image

Currently reading
Docker BitWarden - self hosted password manager using vaultwarden/server image

Are you using rp for bw as a custom conf file or what?
I followed your guide to install BitWarden, then installed the reverse proxy for BitWarden to use with my custom domain. Now I’m trying to remove the reverse proxy, and instead install custom_rp.conf from your code.

Ok so not really sure what the problem here is? Do you have an error of some sort or are you just wondering what ports to use?
I've been getting errors, and cannot connect to the BitWarden, and I'm presuming it's a port problem, so I'm wondering given the settings that work in my previous reverse proxy, what port numbers should I be using in the custom_rp.conf file?

I've been getting errors, and cannot connect to the BitWarden, and I'm presuming it's a port problem, so I'm wondering given the settings that work in my previous reverse proxy, what port numbers should I be using in the custom_rp.conf file?
Have you tried using the same port numbers then?

What is the recommended way to upgrade bitwardenrs on Synology? I tried this:
Stop the container via Docker in DSM
Ran docker pull bitwardenrs/server:latest via SSH
Start the container via Docker in DSM

This doesn't seem to update bitwardenrs and I don't want to delete my working setup.

Thanks!

What is the recommended way to upgrade bitwardenrs on Synology? I tried this:
Stop the container via Docker in DSM
Ran docker pull bitwardenrs/server:latest via SSH
Start the container via Docker in DSM

This doesn't seem to update bitwardenrs and I don't want to delete my working setup.

Thanks!
The last step is wrong. After you have downloaded the image do not start the container but use the Action menu and select the Clear command.

It will remove the container and create a new one with the new image. Do not panic when the container disappears. It will take a few seconds for the new one to appear.

After that start the container again

The last step is wrong. After you have downloaded the image do not start the container but use the Action menu and select the Clear command.

It will remove the container and create a new one with the new image. Do not panic when the container disappears. It will take a few seconds for the new one to appear.

After that start the container again
Thanks! That did it. Maybe add these upgrade steps to the main guide?

No, I did not setup email notifications.

Basically I did abit of read up on the netshoot.
After cross referencing with your thread as well,

I installed the container, ssh into the NAS.

through docker root, I could not perform nslookup.

root @ /
[1] 🐳 → nslookup smtp.gmail.com
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

ip route show and ip neigh show are very barebone minimum as well.

so I decided to follow what @wwwampy suggested and go ahead to add the following in my NAS Firewall rule.

View attachment 1374

I went to the web portal of my BitWarden docker container,
All the ICONS are coming in and loading as intended.

icon_cache are loading the correct png file as well.

Thank you everyone.
@BlueBulb, I have been having the same issue as you where icons were not downloading. I just modified my firewall rules just as you indicated above now the icons have appeared!

THANK YOU for posing the question and posting the answer! Much appreciated.

🙏

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Rusty for this guide. I just spent the weekend setting up bitwardenrs on my Synology. It was pretty frustrating with some trial and error. I got the basic installation working well, but wanted to enable the Live Sync feature and that's when I started having problems.

My main issue was getting the
Code:
.conf
file working and after a lot of trial and error, I realized it was this line:

Code:
server_name your_bitwarden_public_domain_name];

Removing the
Code:
]
after the public domain name fixed my issue of getting HTTPS errors. Since nobody else posted about this yet, I'm not sure if there was something else in my configuration that caused this or if this was just a typo. Hopefully that helps someone else here!

Thanks Rusty for this guide
Your welcome.

Tnx for the heads up on this. That was definitely not supposed to be there, and I don't have it configured like that. Must have been an error when I was copying and altering the values.

Thank you for point this out

Ooops! So what should I do now, when I am using bitwardenrs/server and now it is not accessible anymore (via reverse proxy and custom domain/subdomain)? How to get it to work again and not to loose my data?
If there are some steps which can be done or in portainer or in Synology Docker, just let me know.
Thank you.

If there are some steps which can be done or in portainer or in Synology Docker, just let me know
It is simple.

Start by downloading the new image. Then stop the current container and make a new one with the same settings but with a new image. Connect that new container to your current /data volume, and fire it up.

Everything will be the same and you will pick up where you left off. There are no major changes, its just the name that was changed (there was a lot of chatter on this on their Matrix chat channel in the past weeks).

More info on the current info and name change here - Release 1.21.0 · dani-garcia/vaultwarden

And after that you'll see this:

Screenshot 2021-04-30 at 14.23.06.png

Last edited:
Great! Worked perfectly, thanks for help :)
-- post merged: --

btw. when I want to delete the older bitwardenrs/server container, should I also turn on the "automatically remove non-persistent volumes" or not?" To be humble, I have no glue what that means...

1619786851418.png

Then stop the current container and make a new one with the same settings but with a new image.

One simple way to achieve this is:
  1. download the new "vaultwarden/server:latest" image
  2. Select the old bitwarden container and export the current settings (menu on top) as a small .json file
  3. open it in a code/text editor and change 3 lines:
    1. "cmd" : "/bin/sh -c ./bitwarden_rs", to "cmd" : "/bin/sh -c ./vaultwarden",
    2. "image" : "bitwardenrs/server:latest", to "image" : "vaultwarden/server:latest",
    3. "name" : "bitwarden-server", to "name" : "vaultwarden-server",
  4. stop the old bitwarden container
  5. edit the local port-settings of the old container (e.g. add +1 to the port numbers) to avoid port-collision
  6. import the edited .json file
  7. start up the new container
Optionally don't forget to turn off auto-restart for the old container.
For me, it worked like this - very easy (did I forget something?).

All the best,
paradeiser

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.