BitWarden - self hosted password manager using vaultwarden/server image

Docker BitWarden - self hosted password manager using vaultwarden/server image

Currently reading
Docker BitWarden - self hosted password manager using vaultwarden/server image

Well, as I said before, there is no real way of knowing apart from looking up on the docker HUB portal for that specific image. Like here: Docker Hub

You can see that the tags for a specific image (latest in your case) has changed. Some developers write an extensive change log some don't. So its up to image itself. Personally, I update once a month (well depending on the image and app).

I haven't played with Docker at all and am still reading through trying to understand how it all works, but I am curious as to why you are using this mprasil image instead of working straight from the docker/bitwarden instructions shown here: Installing and deploying | Bitwarden Help & Support ?
Well the reason is that this image mprasil is a bit more lightweight compared to a full blown installation and for personal use is more then enough. Also when I say personal I mean multi user solution that covers 95% of BW features.

Well the reason is that this image mprasil is a bit more lightweight compared to a full blown installation and for personal use is more then enough. Also when I say personal I mean multi user solution that covers 95% of BW features.

Thanks. Was just curious what the difference was. Looks like something I'll have to get figured out.

Sooo… before going through and messing with Docker, I had downloaded bitwarden app on my phone and PC just to play with the app and see if I liked it. In order to do so, I had to create an account. I ended working through the docker/mprasil tutorial and got BW up and running on my NAS. At the end of the setup, it asked for login info, but it would not accept the login info I had previously created; I ended up creating a new account using the same email but a different password for the NAS-hosted BW. The original account and password are still active on my phone and I can see a couple of test logins on the phone app, but these logins do not show up on the NAS-hosted BW when I visit the NAS:BW port IP address.

It appears as though the NAS-hosted BW does not talk to the online BW accounts? It appears to me as though I have 2 separate BW accounts using the same email that do not talk to each other. Is this possible? Can I point the BW apps to the NAS-hosted password vault?

Sooo… before going through and messing with Docker, I had downloaded bitwarden app on my phone and PC just to play with the app and see if I liked it. In order to do so, I had to create an account. I ended working through the docker/mprasil tutorial and got BW up and running on my NAS. At the end of the setup, it asked for login info, but it would not accept the login info I had previously created; I ended up creating a new account using the same email but a different password for the NAS-hosted BW. The original account and password are still active on my phone and I can see a couple of test logins on the phone app, but these logins do not show up on the NAS-hosted BW when I visit the NAS:BW port IP address.

It appears as though the NAS-hosted BW does not talk to the online BW accounts? It appears to me as though I have 2 separate BW accounts using the same email that do not talk to each other. Is this possible? Can I point the BW apps to the NAS-hosted password vault?
The reason is that you have one account for none hosted BW and another one for your local hosted BW. They don't talk to each other. So make sure that all your clients are running towards your local installation (or using the public name of your local BW in case you decide to expose it to the web).

Can I point the BW apps to the NAS-hosted password vault?
Change the path on the BW app... it's where your login is entered. Yes, the 2 do not talk w/each other, however, you can export/import between them if you choose.
4aJiIPM.png

So I don't know if I should just start another thread to get help on this or not, but I'm not sure what my next step is here. I got BW installed and working in Docker, and can access it on my PC via ip address through my LAN, but I don't know how to make it accessible to my other devices and my wife outside of my LAN. I also feel like there is a more secure way of accessing it than via ip address, but I'm not sure. Do I have to setup a reverse proxy per this tutorial, or is there another step I'm missing? Synology Reverse Proxy

As @Telos said @NAS Newbie, you will 1st need to be able to access your NAS from the internet. Preferably via a secure https protocol with s valid cert.

After that you can configure your services to be accessible via revers proxy. Got questions on that matter you can continue in that discussion if you have any questions.

Last edited:
I think wwampy asked this question earlier, but I didn't see that it got answered (maybe I missed it). I already have an LE certificate and a myname.synology.me ddns. Do I need to create a new ddns somehow for bitwarden, or will the synology.me one work?

edit: I see this was discussed to some extent in the reverse-proxy thread, I'll ask any further questions there.

I think wwampy asked this question earlier, but I didn't see that it got answered (maybe I missed it). I already have an LE certificate and a myname.synology.me ddns. Do I need to create a new ddns somehow for bitwarden, or will the synology.me one work?
Well that depends what kind of cert you have an what unique names its hosting. If you are already using that none wild card cert for something and it has no SAN values bind to it, you will not be able to use it for more then 1 destination/service.

I have one question:
what exactly should I do to have my data to be stored in that local "/data" subfolder? I configured it as you described (the only difference, I did not named it /data, instead of this I used /mydata), but In File Station under docker/bitwarden I cannot see any subfolder nor data files...
Thank you.

You have to fill in something like /path nas:/path container. So if you fill in /volume1/docker/mydata:/data then you can find the files on your nas under /volume1/docker/mydata. In your container the same data is tired under /data.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.