BitWarden - self hosted password manager using vaultwarden/server image

Docker BitWarden - self hosted password manager using vaultwarden/server image

Currently reading
Docker BitWarden - self hosted password manager using vaultwarden/server image

Last edited:
Sorry, don't understand how to edit that reverse proxy rules in my DSM then...

If I add 10xx port number to source port I get this:

I also use reverse proxy on my nas but on my phone I can not use the Bitwarden app (gives connection error). In the app I have to use the external ip and used port to make the connection. In a browser I can use the ddns name I have setup in reverse proxy. Any idea why this is not working in the app?

I also use reverse proxy on my nas but on my phone I can not use the Bitwarden app (gives connection error). In the app I have to use the external ip and used port to make the connection. In a browser I can use the ddns name I have setup in reverse proxy. Any idea why this is not working in the app?
https configured? Are you trying this inside your network? What happens if you test it outside your network? Mind shoping your RP config?

No reverse proxy on my phone... just "https://secretname.synology.me:12345" where 12345 is the port forwarded to the reverse proxy (which connects by another port to the external BW-docker port... which connects... oh my).

Did today again a check and have still the same error when I try to setup the bit warden on my iPhone.
Now used https://mysynologyname.synology.me:8123 opened the port in my router but it does not work. When I use my external IP address it works.
Are you sure your port forward is working ok? Have you tried to access BW from outside using your ddns name on a different device apart from your iphone or just via Safari app not BW app, so you can eliminate the app as the problem?

How is your revers configured? Also have you mapped that revers proxy to the ssl cert in Security section?

Web ui on my iphone / iPad works perfect in safari / chrome and firefox. Just now tested on android and there the BW app works. So it is an iOS problem. Thank you for the help and thinking with me.

Web ui on my iphone / iPad works perfect in safari / chrome and firefox. Just now tested on android and there the BW app works. So it is an iOS problem. Thank you for the help and thinking with me.
Nice one. Well at least now you know you configured it correctly.

How to update Bitwarden in Docker?
There are several ways. If you wanna so it via DockerUI in Syno then you can use this simple method.

1. Download the new 'latest' image from the Registry via DockerUI
  2. After that download is complete, stop BW container
  3. Using the Container section, select the BW container and then from the Action drop down menu, select Clear command.
  4. Don't freak out, your container will be removed from the list and recreated using the fresh image your have downloaded
  5. After the container has been recreated, start it again
  6. Done!
How do I know when an update is available?
Some apps will check for the updates them self, but keep in mind that does not mean that the image is also ready and updated. To be sure you will have to check the hub.docker.com page for that specific image and its tags. If they were changed then download the latest image and apply it.

There are also several other solutions (docker images) that you can deploy that will do this for you. Watchtower is one of them and Ouroboros is another. They need to be setup 1st and configured and they can run all your containers and compare their running images with repositories to see if there are any updates.

Keep in mind that running a lot of containers and having them on the bleeding edge version is risky. Personally, I like an individual approach and update them manually.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.