Info Bitwarden Unified Beta

NAS
DS224+, RS820+, DS718+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Bitwarden has just released a beta called Bitwarden Unified. This allows:
  • Simplify configuration and optimize resource usage (CPU, memory) by deploying Bitwarden with a single Docker image.
  • Utilize different database solutions such as MSSQL, PostgreSQL, MySQL/MariaDB.
  • Run on ARM architecture for alternative systems such as Raspberry Pi and NAS servers.
Is this something someone could make an easy how to resource on? Furthermore, how can this image be added to the Docker registry? Is that something Bitwarden would have to do?

What’s the difference with the actual forked project Vaultwarden?
Well, that will is yet to be seen but not all features are adopted into VW. Guessing that will not be the case with this version.

Atm, the remote DB connection towards a custom port is not working. I have opened a ticket on Git, so waiting for the implementation.

The rest of the stack is straightforward with lots of options to turn on/off.

All the features implemented in Vaultwarden are included. I’m sure with Bitwardens unified version you’ll need some licensing for premium features? I’m not certain about that because I haven’t hands on yet, but that was mentioned somewhere else on the net; still needs to be fact checked.

All the features implemented in Vaultwarden are included. I’m sure with Bitwardens unified version you’ll need some licensing for premium features? I’m not certain about that because I haven’t hands on yet, but that was mentioned somewhere else on the net; still needs to be fact checked.
That’s the reason I want to test it for sure. VW is not going anywhere for sure.

That’s the reason I want to test it for sure. VW is not going anywhere for sure.
Tried both: Bitwarden original version (but too heavy too complex to maintain) and VaultWarden (very lightweight, include « premium » features like TOTP but device/browser automatic sync does not work).
I’m also very interested by this new beta but I’m pretty sure that TOTP dans device sync (mandatory for me) will still need to subscribe to premium features.

I’ve always thought those prefixes were regarding what version we were on; good to know now.

@Rusty just saw your write up on your site, nice job.
Well I just wanted to start off an article as I will be looking into that solution of theirs. Wanted to have some intro going on before posting anything that I might be using as a solution.

Not there yet for my needed setup, but I’m sure it will be. Curious to see what features will it support and in what pricing plan (if there will be any).

@Rusty, I’ve been following along on GitHub, looks like they fixed the code for the custom port connection to the DB.

So curiosity how did they have a working setup without port info in the code, was it just using some sort of default ports?

Also of all the DB options you can run, which is the best?

@Rusty, I’ve been following along on GitHub, looks like they fixed the code for the custom port connection to the DB.

So curiosity how did they have a working setup without port info in the code, was it just using some sort of default ports?

yesterday I was able to configure it with an outside DB on custom port. The port variable will be added (as it was not yesterday evening) but in the meantime I have used another variable for the sql connection string.

Will update the article a bit later with a detailed compose covering this.

Almost none of the premium features are included. TOTP being one. For me this is already a showstopper atm.

I have tried MySQL and Postgres. Tbh, both feel fast and I really can't tell the difference. Did some more testing in terms of email notifications, 2FA for the main account, import/export from VW, and such.

No problems so far, and the only issue are the locked premium features that come with VW out of the box. So be prepared to pay 10$/y for them in order to have them all unlocked.

Other than that, works like a dream so far from what I can say.

Updated the article as well.

I understand what you are saying... but it raises the question of whether TOTP should be on the same application/database that manages the passwords. What's you take on that?
Simple. Security vs convenience. For example, 2fa for syno forum I have no issues keeping inside BW. Some other more sensitive things are kept in a separate platform.

I guess it’s up to the user as it is with everything else in life, or IT :)

Last edited:
Almost none of the premium features are included. TOTP being one. For me this is already a showstopper atm.
Agreed.

I understand what you are saying... but it raises the question of whether TOTP should be on the same application/database that manages the passwords. What's you take on that?
I keep the TOTP codes on another app, outside of BW. The way I see (for me) it is if my BW server ever goes down or the instance is corrupted, I can still get into my accounts. Yes, I could do the backup codes, but its just one less eggs in the basket. I would however like to have the convenience of using a simple ctrl + v to paste the code rather than have to open up the second app. One thing I probably would want to try is when registering with the TOTP key, enter it both in BW & my 2FA app. This should give the same TOTP 2fa code on both platforms. Not sure if there's any issues with that, but I don't see why not.

yesterday I was able to configure it with an outside DB on custom port.

Would every setup of BW unified be connected with an outside DB? That is (or is it) different than running it all in the docker container.

As an example VW is that considered as having the DB inside (or attached with) the container?

Would every setup of BW unified be connected with an outside DB? That is (or is it) different than running it all in the docker container.

As an example VW is that considered as having the DB inside (or attached with) the container?
Both versions can be configured to work with sqlite (db internal) or any of the listed compatible external platforms.

VW by default works with internal, BW works with external.

Both versions can be configured to work with sqlite (db internal) or any of the listed compatible external platforms.

VW by default works with internal, BW works with external.
Got it. I’d probably prefer an internal DB, as it would be the simplest to understand considering my skill set in this area is beginner. Anything to do with those command or compose files, both for docker or even Linux is above my head.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Trending threads

Back