Info Bitwarden Unified Beta

Currently reading
Info Bitwarden Unified Beta

Got it. I’d probably prefer an internal DB, as it would be the simplest to understand considering my skill set in this area is beginner. Anything to do with those command or compose files, both for docker or even Linux is above my head.
While official support From BW with their new unified approach there is no reason not to use VW (personally I still use it as a production). Also, it is unlocked with premium features that BW versions needs is not until you get a license. Unified is also still in beta and looking at the issue list on github it is being worked on but it is unknown when it will be pushed as good and ready solution.

The VW compose is short and easy and down the road export and import from VW to BW will work just fine (tested it the other day).

Only win win as far as I see it no matter how you look at it.

While official support From BW with their new unified approach there is no reason not to use VW (personally I still use it as a production). Also, it is unlocked with premium features that BW versions needs is not until you get a license. Unified is also still in beta and looking at the issue list on github it is being worked on but it is unknown when it will be pushed as good and ready solution.

The VW compose is short and easy and down the road export and import from VW to BW will work just fine (tested it the other day).

Only win win as far as I see it no matter how you look at it.

Agreed with yah. The only thing I get concerned with is if BW does some code change, especially for their clients, which when is pushed out causes an issue with working with VW. I have seen recently that the recently updated clients weren’t working with VW, you would have had to update the VW image to testing tag; which is probably due to VW developers catching it early enough and had already been working on it. I’m not entirely sure why so many people were having the issue because I had received the updated BW clients and I waited to update my VW instances until they pushed their image out as a latest tag, and I never had any sort of connection problems.

Last edited:
I never experienced any breakage with VW with any browser plugin. I am not using the BW desktop client, so I can not speak for it.

If BW introduced breaking changes, it would affect their paying customers with self-hosted installations as well. Everyone updates the clients on a regular basis, though who really updates the backend components the minute they get released? There will always be a spread of versions in the self-hosted installation base.

After all VW uses BW's publicly available API-definition to automatically generate the server interfaces and manually implement the backend logic in Rust. This is what allows VW to be a drop-in replacement for BW.

If BW introduced breaking changes, it would affect their paying customers with self-hosted installations as well. Everyone updates the clients on a regular basis, though who really updates the backend components the minute they get released? There will always be a spread of versions in the self-hosted installation base

I’d imagine BW would be releasing an update to their own self hosted solution too. Not sure if there’s a way to have those auto update.

There was definitely a flood of people going to the BW forums claiming they couldn’t login using one of the clients. Almost all of them were called out to no have been running an official BW server, they were all VW instances.

I agree with @one-eyed-king here and also this is 1st that I hear about this kind of issue. Web extension and mobile app are my main drives and never had any issues at all.

Now would I like to use the official version down the line? Sure. Will I use it? Depends. I will see how it develops and will this new unified solution along with their full blow 11 container self-hosted version brings something to the table that will be off limits to other developers. I guess that will not happen in this open-source setup that BW is going for, but maybe something will change.

See here:

I never experienced any breakage with VW with any browser plugin. I am not using the BW desktop client, so I can not speak for it.
Same, except I have the desktop client, and have not observed any issues. Not day that they don't exist, but I haven't yet tripped over them.

Most of those links are anecdotal. Bitwarden closes the issue on any Vaultwarden post, so there's little to be discerned. Others seem to be from users with outdated VW packages.

Of course, I have KeePass handy should VW fail.

I’d imagine BW would be releasing an update to their own self hosted solution too. Not sure if there’s a way to have those auto update.
I covered the first part in my last response: there will be a version spread. An uncomfortable to setup 11 container version is less likely to aim the home user marked, but appears to be more suited for corporate environment. Corporate environments usually have change management processes in place, which would be bypassed by auto updates, as it could jeopardize stable operations.

See here:

I believe you, just not something that I have seen on social or anywhere officially other than the forum. Not that I am on that forum daily, so obviously easy to miss.

I covered the first part in my last response: there will be a version spread. An uncomfortable to setup 11 container version is less likely to aim the home user marked, but appears to be more suited for corporate environment. Corporate environments usually have change management processes in place, which would be bypassed by auto updates, as it could jeopardize stable operations.
Exactly! Still, the security team would pressure for the patch in case of day0 exploits or something like that, but a regular patch would def not be on day.

@Gerard I think there is no fear in using VW at all. The only real threat is that the DEV team behind decides to drop it out of the blue. Other than that, it's all good in the long run.

So what’s weird is that I too did not have the problem as much as what I was seeing reported. Obviously there are a lot of variables in setups, I was just glad I wasn’t one that had the issue. Although as mentioned before seemed like VW developers had already addressed it in a testing tag not yet released, yet all of the BW clients had already started pushing updates out. So for those with the issue they would have had to update to testing to log back in. Shortly thereafter VW released the update, but just wondering could something like this become more difficult for VW to stay close or ahead of BW releasing the client updates. That’s the only thing that concerns me, is not being able to someday access the vault. However flip side, and a pro, to VW is access to all the premium features and its simplicity. I really like it.
-- post merged: --

VW works for me with zero issues since the day I installed it. Also browser plugin. I can't be more satisfied.
Agreed I’ve never had a problem too. In the end exporting the vault as a backup every once in a while would minimize any interruptions, minus the attachments that have to be manually saved.

So what’s weird is that I too did not have the problem as much as what I was seeing reported. Obviously there are a lot of variables in setups, I was just glad I wasn’t one that had the issue. Although as mentioned before seemed like VW developers had already addressed it in a testing tag not yet released, yet all of the BW clients had already started pushing updates out. So for those with the issue they would have had to update to testing to log back in. Shortly thereafter VW released the update, but just wondering could something like this become more difficult for VW to stay close or ahead of BW releasing the client updates. That’s the only thing that concerns me, is not being able to someday access the vault. However flip side, and a pro, to VW is access to all the premium features and its simplicity. I really like it.
Well, it could have been a specific situation. Something that was introduced along with several other features might have broken the VW instance in some cases. I don't see this as a general rule, because for the past 2,5y since I have been using VW I have had 0 and I mean 0 similar situations. Also, VW/BW instance that I self-host is probably in the top 3 platforms that I use xy times a day on almost 5 devices, so I think I would notice.

Well, it could have been a specific situation. Something that was introduced along with several other features might have broken the VW instance in some cases. I don't see this as a general rule, because for the past 2,5y since I have been using VW I have had 0 and I mean 0 similar situations. Also, VW/BW instance that I self-host is probably in the top 3 platforms that I use xy times a day on almost 5 devices, so I think I would notice.

Right, I’m sure those having an issue have some sort of unique thing going on. Considering they didn’t post here first leads me to believe they’re not setup with the SynoForums’ resource document 😂 but must have followed some other method of install. Either way I agree for now I would be sticking with VW, I’ve been on it for a year and half maybe 2, and I will be moving the spouse over very soon.

We both had lastpass and I moved when they switched to the one device only for free mentality. My vested time with VW/BW has been stable and I know enough about it now that I can move her over.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.