BookStack - a platform to create documentation/wiki content built with PHP & Laravel

Docker BookStack - a platform to create documentation/wiki content built with PHP & Laravel

Currently reading
Docker BookStack - a platform to create documentation/wiki content built with PHP & Laravel

Strange indeed. I see some progress after making those changes, but still no dice. Here is the current error.

1593980542473.png

For reference, this is with the MariaDB tcp connection open w/ port 3306 and associated firewall rule made making it wide open right now for initial testing.
1593980611212.png

And lastly, just to do some complete testing here, when I append the port to the db_connection env variable, it does not resolve.

Frustrating - this all makes me want to build my own lightweight NAS / docker machine! The one thing I will really miss is photostation...

I'm no expert either. :)

When I created these empty DB's in phpMyAdmin, I simple clicked the create new database and took the default option. I then created unique usernames for each of those db's and assigned them passwords (b/c it looks like Synology forces you to do so w/ some addon).

Here is a snapshot from phpMyAdmin
1593981696432.png

Is there an approved method or steps that I should go through to create those DB's? When I searched online, I followed what I found, but I'm clearly not doing something right.

Also - thank you all for the support!

It might be worth noting that I have been unable to get any docker program to use this DB (in spite of what you may see above in entries). I ultimately got freshrss to work, but only by having it use its own embedded sqlite db.

This looks like a possible replacement for Microsoft's OneNote for me. As I played with the demo, I couldn't figure out how I might migrate my OneNote content. Even basic copy/paste turned the formatted text into images. Maybe there's something basic I'm missing.

Any thoughts about transitioning existing works to BookStack?

Welp - i'm not getting much farther w/ various testing options. Let's see if anyone else on this thread has some useful suggestions!

@AdrianEarnshaw I even loaded MariaDB5 and switched the port and got the same error (after again creating the database / user combo).

@Telos for your question, a quick google search turned up this link to a feature request in bookstack. It isn't something that has has been implemented yet, but if you have your Onenote notebooks in the MS Cloud, theoretically, their newer APIs should enable this to be done. Not sure if you're up to that work or not, but perhaps you could lend your voice to the request.

@finnegan : any luck? I'm literally in the exact same situation as you (MariaDB 10, Synology NAS, Docker, Bookstack,...) and have done all the same things with no luck.

I will say this though: keep the Bookstacker instance running in Docker even though the log seemingly shows nothing is happening. I've had mine open for 20 minutes now and a few new lines pop-up in the log that seem to indicate something is happening --albeit really slowly. In another forum, someone had the same problem as us but after waiting 30min it finally kicked in.

Currently when I try to access the address in Chrome, it went from "This site cannot be reached" to now "504 Gateway Time-out". Fingers crossed, and I'll update in 30-40 minutes if anything changes.

Sorry, @JosephSmith99 , no joy. :( Tonight I went ahead and let it run for a good 45 mins while I worked out and it never made progress. (amazing how we are all in this together! :) )

@AdrianEarnshaw - thought of disabling the firewall a few days ago. Did it again tonight for good measure, and no dice. Good idea though!

@Rusty, Over the next few days, when I get some time, I'll try to install mysql in a docker container again and see if I can make more progress. Also, I never got FreshRSS to connect to this DB. In the end, I took the local sqlite option, which seems to work pretty well, actually.

Thanks all!

Sorry to hear that you are still having problems. Have you checked your permissions to access the database inside phpMyAdmin?

I will say this, it is really odd how some people have no problem running things out of Docker yet others have problems. There's a few apps I have given up on as I just couldn't get them to work no matter what I did.

Sorry to hear that you are still having problems. Have you checked your permissions to access the database inside phpMyAdmin?

I will say this, it is really odd how some people have no problem running things out of Docker yet others have problems. There's a few apps I have given up on as I just couldn't get them to work no matter what I did.

Hi AdrianEarnshaw - What do you mean in terms of "permissions to access the database inside phpMyAdmin"? Like, the privileges in MariaDB 10 from phpMyAdmin for the specific user to access the DB? If so, for me, Privileges are "all privileges" and grant is "no" (which I think is what's expected).

Sorry for the poor explanation. In phpMyAdmin go to the User Accounts tab and under there you will see a list of user names. The one that you are using as the login ha it got All Privileges next to it. If not that may be your answer. I've attached a shot from my system, user name blanked out for obvious reasons.

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-07-09 171415.png
    Annotation 2020-07-09 171415.png
    42.1 KB · Views: 39

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.