DS218+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
  3. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hello all !
Since a couple years ago, I had to change my DS218+ in emergency due to a boot loop of the Synology in production.
I kept the old one to try to repair it when I'll the time to do it and... the time has come !

So, I have a DS218+ booting in loop.
When I plug the power connector, I have a blue blinking for 20secs, the fan initializes itself, the power goes down. Then, the power goes up, 20 seconds of blue blinking and power down and so on...

I swapped the power adapter, same result.
I removed the HDDs, same result.
I tried a reset, same result.
The memory is the factory provided (I'll try to get one to replace it, but it's old hardware...)
And I changed the 2032 battery on the motherboard.

What could I try to get it back alive ?

Thanks in advance !

Nicolas

Since you accessed the battery you must’ve got access to the circuit board. Nothing to lose by checking the RAM is seated correctly: remove and refit; could try it in slot 2.

I’d also check all connectors. Also does there look to be any issue only the board that could be shorting or damaged component.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply !
I found a RAM module from Corsair, CMSO8GX3M1C1600C11; the same from the factory but 1600MHz in place of 1866MHz, same result.
I changed the slot of the original RAM module from the 1st to the 2nd, same result.

I'e made a visual inspection, I'm not a professional but nothing seems burned or broken on the motherboard.
I join some pictures of the motherboard and of the "USB DSM module"

Is there a way to found a USB DSM module on the market ? Maybe it's this part failing ?

Could it be the same problem as this post ? The CPU unit is an Intel Celeron J3355 according this page. It seems not but for now...

Thanks
Nicolas

Attachments

• IMG_3596.jpg
    IMG_3596.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3595.jpg
    IMG_3595.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3594.jpg
    IMG_3594.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3593.jpg
    IMG_3593.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 59
My hunch is that it is somehow not able to boot off its internal storage--that dsm 'dom' that you have in the first and second pictures. This would be risky, but if you can stomach the risk, I would swap the dom from the working ds218 into this one and see if it does the same thing. If it boots, then it's the dom that you need to replace. If not--well, you know it's not the dom. :D

The other Synology is always under warranty, I can't disassemble it...

In place to buy a new one, is there a way to reprog it with a fresh copy of DSM ?

Thanks ;)

The other Synology is always under warranty, I can't disassemble it...

In place to buy a new one, is there a way to reprog it with a fresh copy of DSM ?

Thanks ;)
Hmm...good point. Well, what I would do is see if you can get another DS218+ just for parts. The chances of the DOM on it also being bad are slim, so you could take the parts from two non-working ones and put them together to make one that works. And a dom from any similar model would probably work too so if it's not a DS218+ it should work too.

The problem is finding such an animal. :eek: I checked ebay and units that are just for parts cost as much as I've picked up used working units for. Your best bet would probably be finding something local.

I don't found any DS218+ "for parts" near me or in my country; all I found is working but no new ones.

DOM stands for ?

Just received a RAM module from Amazon, exactly the same sold with the Syno and the result is the same. Seems it don't remains a lot of things except the DSM module or maybe the entire motherboard...

I'll search if I can "reupload" a fresh DSM on the "USB" DSM module, if not, I'll try to sell it... for parts ! ;)

Thanks
Nicolas

I don't found any DS218+ "for parts" near me or in my country; all I found is working but no new ones.

DOM stands for ?

Just received a RAM module from Amazon, exactly the same sold with the Syno and the result is the same. Seems it don't remains a lot of things except the DSM module or maybe the entire motherboard...

I'll search if I can "reupload" a fresh DSM on the "USB" DSM module, if not, I'll try to sell it... for parts ! ;)

Thanks
Nicolas
Yeah, I was surprised at how few parts units were out there. I guess most people just throw them away when broken. :(

DOM = Disk On Module. It's a terminology you see more in the thin client world since they also have small modules like that for boot media. I had to look it up myself as I didn't know if it was 'module' or 'memory' and ran into this list that has some pretty funny ones like 'Dirty Old Man' :ROFLMAO::

I wasn't expecting much from the ram swap, and this is probably one test you could have done with the other unit since memory upgrades don't violate warranties. But there was some risk in using a 'production' part because if the unit you're trying to revive would have damaged the module you would have needed another one quick.

I think there should be a way to connect to that DOM, but it may be proprietary and a bit tedious. And if you figure it out, please share as I'm sure it would help others. :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.