NAS
Synology 412+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi.

Sincere apologies if this question is so obvious as to be an eye roll, but I've been all over this forum and elsewhere and can't seem to answer it.

Background. My DS412+ bricked on a routine restart. I don't have a backup. Was running latest DSM6. Fans and blinking blue lights.

I have tried to rescue the unit. See this thread. No luck. Trying to move forward. My question:

Could I just move my three drives (3TB WD Red) in a Raid 5 config to an identical Synology or a more modern unit? Is this dangerous? I don't want to corrupt the data or mess with the headers.

I did try attaching the drives to an Ubuntu install and using mdadm (in the above thread) but the VS headers were outdated and I stopped.

I seem to have access to a used DS412+. Worth a try? Go more modern? Just trying to avoid expensive mistakes, and most importantly preserve the data.

Finally - I see eBay ads for Synology repair. Any recommendations?

Thanks so much for any and all input, and again sorry if this has been answered elsewhere in the forum.

Best,

Chris

Could I just move my three drives (3TB WD Red) in a Raid 5 config to an identical Synology or a more modern unit? Is this dangerous? I don't want to corrupt the data or mess with the headers.
Yes you can. There will be some system and app changes that might happen due to cpu change but the data volume will stay intact, so there is no need to worry on that front.

I seem to have access to a used DS412+. Worth a try? Go more modern? Just trying to avoid expensive mistakes, and most importantly preserve the data.
x12 is pretty old, personally I would recommend something a bit more modern even if it’s used like 918+ for example.

Upvote 0
Yes you can. There will be some system and app changes that might happen due to cpu change but the data volume will stay intact, so there is no need to worry on that front.

x12 is pretty old, personally I would recommend something a bit more modern even if it’s used like 918+ for example.
Hi Rusty. Thanks so much. For the life of me I couldn't get an answer to that. Will explore.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
This might help. You’d be looking at HDD Migration.
Thanks. Somehow I missed all of this. Doh. Pretty sure I was latest and greatest DSM 6.xx on the 412+. If I read this correctly, I can just migrate the drives to the newer Syno (thinking a 418 or a 420+ new) and moving on with my life. Just so worried about messing with the data...

Upvote 0
any migration I did the data survived. Saying that it would be great to have a backup of your critical data before doing such a migration
I wish. I could bit-by-bit copy the three drives but it is sort of an expensive insurance policy. I didn't have a backup running when the DS bricked. Had no idea they were so prone to fail after 6-8 years. My bad. Hard lesson learned.

Upvote 0
Had no idea they were so prone to fail after 6-8 years.
They are not, but then again even the most expensive equipment at some point can fail for any number of reasons.

Learning is part of life, so I am sure that once you migrate over, you will be quick to get yourself another layer of protection.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.