Bridged connection through Mac for DS920+

Currently reading
Bridged connection through Mac for DS920+

Thanks for the write up. Have never looked at Windows at this level, only ever had to hand it to an IT dept. to fix stuff.

Terminology here can be confusing, the term 'bridge', as I think @frostyallnight and I have used it, means to use a device to link two networks either side of it together so that devices on each side are on the same subnet, and the 'bridged' clients get to use DHCP etc from the LAN side (the bridging device is invisible to the clients. In macOS its Internet Sharing is more of a simple private routing with different subnets either side. But it appears Windows has the 'bridge' capability... hurray for you!

My travel routers have different names for 'bridge' type modes:
  • TP-Link calls it:
    • Client Mode: plug ethernet to client device and wireless connect to WLAN. The client device gets a LAN IP. Use this to connect a wired-only device wirelessly to the LAN, and power it using a USB port on the client device :) Nice!
    • Range Extender Mode: same as Client Mode but it also supports wireless clients to get access to the WLAN.
  • GL.iNet calls it Repeater mode with a wireless network (the WAN side) with Network Mode set to Extender. This would then provide the same as TP-Link's Range Extender Mode.
Trying to find common terminology can be a bit hard!

As for your NAS right now, I would probably set it to use a dynamically assigned IP address and also disable 2FA. Just until you are back to normal. Also, encryption keys should be archived securely.

As I said before, this thread got me looking into newer travel routers. The GL.iNet Opal arrived and is pretty simple to setup. Demo'ed it to the youngest and he gave it a positive thumbs-up, so not wasted money and he'll have a some protection on shared wireless. Plus it has AdGuardHome so he'll be a bit protected for Internet too. The wife says it's cute with its paddle 'ears' :)
I took your suggestion and added a backup admin account with a long cryptic user and pass, with 2FA disabled on this account only. As long as I hardwire direct to the DS, I can always set my Ethernet port on my laptop to a static address to access it so I will leave the settings as is.

I looked into the GL.iNet Opal, I couldn't resist. I ordered one, will be here tomorrow. Great price too.

The WiFi IP address is a 1.x network, subent is 255.255.255.0. The NAS is configured the same too. The windows laptop is connected to the WiFi also on a 1.x address and same subnet.

Basically, bridging the two in this instance is not to allow two different subnets to communicate, its allows the Win10 laptop to act as a switch from the WiFi to the Ethernet.
As you say, it's a 'bridge' that isn't acting as a bridge between 2 subnets, but on a single subnet between 2 adapters.
Thanks. You live & learn!

I looked into the GL.iNet Opal, I couldn't resist. I ordered one, will be here tomorrow. Great price too.
Just something after more testing. I cannot get a reliable WAN connection to a 5GHz WiFi band with devices connecting to the Opal's 5GHz SSID. Doing a speedtest when 5GHz on both sides, for me, crashes the Opal. But no problem when WAN is 2.4GHz band or wired connection. I decided to try the Slate Plus as it has more CPU and RAM and it's not that much more, I was being tight.

For a holiday travel router the Opal seems a decent option, but I'm hoping the Slate Plus will be better for a more permanent dwelling where the thrill of just having WiFi will wear off.

This has gone off-topic, sorry Just wanted to alert you to the Opal issue I had and if you'll find it a problem then you might be able to cancel it.

I opted for the Beryl AX. Pleased with this.
Good to hear you have good experience with these.

I refer you to...
I was being tight
:) And I'm working up to spending more, if they will use them. Having AX support will probably be unnecessary for a while, based on expectations of a landlord paying for a shared house WiFi and the offsprings having few personal devices, not sure if any have AX capability.

Just something after more testing. I cannot get a reliable WAN connection to a 5GHz WiFi band with devices connecting to the Opal's 5GHz SSID. Doing a speedtest when 5GHz on both sides, for me, crashes the Opal. But no problem when WAN is 2.4GHz band or wired connection. I decided to try the Slate Plus as it has more CPU and RAM and it's not that much more, I was being tight.

For a holiday travel router the Opal seems a decent option, but I'm hoping the Slate Plus will be better for a more permanent dwelling where the thrill of just having WiFi will wear off.

This has gone off-topic, sorry Just wanted to alert you to the Opal issue I had and if you'll find it a problem then you might be able to cancel it.
You probably already did this, but is the firmware current? If yes, can you roll it back to a previous version?
-- post merged: --

I opted for the Beryl AX. Pleased with this.
I’m going to look into this to. Maybe I’ll pick this up depending on the price point.

[The topic has shifted from the strict focus of the thread. But it still has some link to get a manually configured NAS back onto the LAN. ]

You probably already did this, but is the firmware current? If yes, can you roll it back to a previous version?
I updated the firmware to the latest v3 as soon as I powered up the router.

I have emailed GL’s support and just received a reply. In a nutshell: not heard about this before; maybe related to the linking Synology router; try the beta v4 firmware; is it replicated with inbound Slate Plus.

Testing the TP-Link travel router and it could connect 5G->5G in hotspot router mode. Though TBH it wasn’t any quicker Speedtest from the GL doing 5G->2.4G.

The Slate Plus works connecting WAN to SRM's Smart Connect configured SSID: that's an SSID that's combining 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. No crashing on speedtests and better speeds too. I'll be sending the Opal back.
I ordered the Beryl AX (GL-MT3000) just now after doing a good amount of research the last 2 days. I am returned the Opal as well. Amazon had $20 off so I figured it was worth it in the long run. I'll need the local transfer speed from my iPhone through the Beryl to my DS to perform large backups. Might as well get something that can handle what I am going to throw at it.

If I was only buying one then I'd go for higher AX spec too. But I'll get another Slate Plus with the refund, which have £15 off at the moment, so both kids have a reasonable, small, fully-wireless AC router. I can't imagine that landlords are rolling out AX routers and APs, just yet.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.