920+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
Hi

I upgraded my 920+ last night and 11 packages fail, this includes docker and many others. These are not the 3rd party apps

Could someone please help. I moved any apps which wasn't supported before the upgrade and created any unsupported apps into Docker. Then after the upgrade 11 packages fail and dont repair or manually upgrade. I'm at a total loss now

Thanks

Screenshot 2021-01-19 at 10.47.00.png

Screenshot 2021-01-19 at 10.47.38.png

some of these apps will be able to get fixed by hand (like plex for example), for the rest of them (by the looks of it all are from Synology supported pallet), best to open up a ticket with Syno and let them have a look at it.

Would advise you not to touch anything so you don't cause more damage.

Also, post this problem (if you haven't already) on the official community.synology.com (beta7) channel. Support users are active there as well, but best to open up a direct ticket with them from within the DSM Support Center

Never install a beta OS in a prod environment..

A bit surprised to see Docker is also broken here, but than again that can hapen in a beta phase..

Yeah I held off until I seen many succesfull installs and felt it was stable

I also did loads of work moving 3rd party apps into containers and felt docker would just work

I'm not blaming anyone and its just bad luck but can't find any logs to help me fix the problem
-- post merged: --

some of these apps will be able to get fixed by hand (like plex for example), for the rest of them (by the looks of it all are from Synology supported pallet), best to open up a ticket with Syno and let them have a look at it.

Would advise you not to touch anything so you don't cause more damage.

Also, post this problem (if you haven't already) on the official community.synology.com (beta7) channel. Support users are active there as well, but best to open up a direct ticket with them from within the DSM Support Center
Thanks

I've raised a support ticket and also posted on the official forums...no reply yet 8(

I can't even find any log files to search, know any good starting points ?

ssh into your nas and review /var/log/messages

Looks like a right mess in there, tons of errors

Here is one of the last entries of me trying to repair the SAN MANAGER package manually

2021-01-19T10:47:32+00:00 NAS synopkgctl[25566]: pkgctl_start_stop.cpp:351 Failed to start package, pkg=[ScsiTarget] context=[{"action
":"repair","beta":true,"betaIncoming":true,"error":{"code":277,"description":"failed to acquire postinst worker","worker_msg":[]},"fin
ished":false,"installReboot":false,"installing":true,"language":"enu","last_stage":"prepare_start","package":"ScsiTarget","packageName
":"SAN Manager","pid":25566,"scripts":[{"code":0,"message":"","type":"prestop"},{"code":0,"message":"","type":"preupgrade"},{"code":0,
"message":"","type":"preuninst"},{"code":0,"message":"","type":"postuninst"},{"code":0,"message":"","type":"preinst"},{"code":0,"messa
ge":"","type":"postinst"},{"code":0,"message":"","type":"postupgrade"}],"spk":"/volume2/@tmp/@synopkg/@download/ScsiTarget/@SYNOPKG_DO
WNLOAD_ScsiTarget","stage":"start_failed","status":"repairing","success":false,"username":"admin"}]
2021-01-19T10:47:32+00:00 NAS synoscgi_SYNO.Core.Package.Installation_1_upgrade[24809]: pkgstartstop.cpp:883 Failed to start ScsiTarge
t[0x0000 file_get_section.c:76]

Looks like a right mess in there, tons of errors

Here is one of the last entries of me trying to repair the SAN MANAGER package manually
Yeah, that looks like a job for proper Syno support. Im sure they will know off the bat what the problem is with all those code errors using their index list of errors.

Again, try and wait for them to contact you on the matter and let them have a look. It could be the same root cause for all the packages so maybe they will fix one thing that will fix all the rest. Sit tight.

Yeah, that looks like a job for proper Syno support. Im sure they will know off the bat what the problem is with all those code errors using their index list of errors.

Again, try and wait for them to contact you on the matter and let them have a look. It could be the same root cause for all the packages so maybe they will fix one thing that will fix all the rest. Sit tight.

Failing that I was looking at pulling off the data onto an external USB3 HDD and then rebuilding

If you reset/factory the NAS is there an option to keep data on the volumes ? Not done it for years

I'm happy to keep DSM7 beta as DSM6 isn't an option now

Where is all the DSM and OS files stored on the HDD ?

Data volume(s) will remain.

On a user (via UI) invisible/inaccessible partition on all the drives.
Ok that's interesting to know. During the install of DSM does it wipe and re-install ?

I have lots of errors in the /log/messages and could do with a new install I feel

I have most .YML files to rebuild the docker containers. Just have some files I wouldn't want to lose on my shared folders

It stands to reason that to install DSM 7 Beta on a live working NAS is loopy not least because Synology and the likes of Nascompares told us not to do it.

What was not so clear from Synology is that DSM 7 not only puts the OS on the drives but also amends the VERSION file on the actual NAS box

So, thinking I could always easily revert back to DSM 6.2 I installed it on a spare drive in my spare DS415+ and soon discovered I can't easily roll back to DSM 6.2 without using PUTTY to modify the VERSION file.

Bloody hell Synology, on top of not telling me and others about the Intel C2000 problem on DS415+'s until they were safely out of warranty. Yes, the 100ohm resistor trick works just fine but no thanks to Synology.

So, thinking I could always easily revert back to DSM 6.2 I installed it on a spare drive in my spare DS415+ and soon discovered I can't easily roll back to DSM 6.2 without using PUTTY to modify the VERSION file.
Reason for this not being mentioned is that you have a warning that roll back will not be (officially) supported. Technically there is no need to specify what elements will be modified or not.

Rusty you're right but it wasn't common knowledge that the actual NAS box itself couldn't be rolled back. I still am a fan of Synology kit and have sold and supported it for years but having never had to roll a box back say from 6.0 to 5.0 I was unaware of the implications. Oh and by the way, I was speaking to a techy at Span.com yesterday and he didn't know either

I'd concur that it's a pain to have to take a leap of faith that a beta version isn't going to mess up. I'll take that a step further, it's a leap of faith to upgrade to a final version. I like that I can boot my Macs from an external drive and test new macOS versions before deciding to upgrade the internal drive.

Back to DSM: What would be better is that it should be possible to factory reset to the previous version. Or at least while the current install is a major number beta then that should permit a rebuild to the current stable release.

Rusty you're right but it wasn't common knowledge that the actual NAS box itself couldn't be rolled back. I still am a fan of Synology kit and have sold and supported it for years but having never had to roll a box back say from 6.0 to 5.0 I was unaware of the implications. Oh and by the way, I was speaking to a techy at Span.com yesterday and he didn't know either
I hear you on this. But, techie not knowing this might be in the same situation as you were, there was no possibility or reason to revert back.

Also, this “limitation” has been around for the best part of 15y, and again Synology not sharing or officially not allowing roll back is their right to not disclose (because it’s not officially supported).

Would it be better if this was allowed, sure, but I guess this is a good reason for this kind of forum where people can ask before moving forward.

I can't easily roll back to DSM 6.2 without using PUTTY to modify the VERSION file.
Those write-ups all seem encouraging... but there is a long line of those who did this who discovered that the "rollback" was not as clean as they were led to believe.

I wouldn't advise this, as you may find yourself stranded and unable to take v6 updates or v7 upgrades.
Then after the upgrade 11 packages fail and dont repair or manually upgrade. I'm at a total loss now
There are also posts like this that were fixed by reinstalling the beta. I would try that (nothing to lose by doing so).

I still maintain that Synology should have defined "Factory Reset". In actual fact, factory reset in this case just meant erasing the HDD's which lets face it could be done by removing drives and formatting elsewhere.

Follow this link - Syno Preview and tell me where I'm missing the bit that says "it modifies the actual NAS flash memory an the motherboard".

Fortunately my DS415+ can remain a "brick" and DSM test box until the GM version of DSM 7 is released but my concern is that others keen to help evaluate DSM 7 don't get caught out

Hi

I upgraded my 920+ last night and 11 packages fail, this includes docker and many others. These are not the 3rd party apps

Could someone please help. I moved any apps which wasn't supported before the upgrade and created any unsupported apps into Docker. Then after the upgrade 11 packages fail and dont repair or manually upgrade. I'm at a total loss now

Thanks

View attachment 2862

View attachment 2863

Hi beerglass007, did you were able to find a solution? i have a similar issue, but in my case everything was working fine with DSM 7 for 2 months, only after reboot i have the same problem as you including packets like File Station.

Status
Not open for further replies.