Browse Desktop Drives thru Synology Router

Router
  1. RT2600ac
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
My desktop computer with Windows 10 OS is connected to my Synology RT2600 (with LAN cable)
My question:
Is it possible to browse the files and folders in my desktop (remotely) from outside when I connected to the router thru VPN?
What's the most secure and easy option to do this?
Thanks!

What's the most secure and easy option to do this?
As @Shadow said, configure the VPN Plus package on your router. Also, a great time to get some more permanent licenses (20 in total) for your VPN needs in the future

After that you will be able to configure any model of VPN to access your local resources.

Which VPN protocol is the best?
Depends a bit on your needs, wishes and own infrastructure.
I like OpenVPN because: It's scriptable, good logs and very configurable. One bad thing about it (thats Synology's fault, not OpenVPN): it's not routable...
But Synology SSL VPN is also fine. Its much simpler to setup, however it does require you to have your own public domain.

Do take notice of @Rusty 's post.

EDIT: posted at the same time... didn't get the notification of a duplicated post hahah

If you wanna browse your files like you are connected locally then you can use L2 or OpenVPN method (protocol) to make this happen.

One of these 2 scenarios:

But Synology SSL VPN is also fine. Its much simpler to setup, however it does require you to have your own public domain.
The SSL-VPN service, in and of itself, doesn't require a specific domain. I just confirmed this by connecting directly to my SRM's Internet IP (+ port) using iOS VPN Plus app. The need for a domain is to do with accessing the unified web portal of the SSL-VPN, WebVPN, and Remote Desktop services.

If you browse to the HTTPS ports of any of these services it will convert the browser session's URL from whatever IP/domain you used to the specified domain in Synology VPN. This, I suspect, is because WebVPN has reverse proxy capability and it creates new browser sessions based on that domain ... without it then life becomes tricky.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.