Browse root file system

NAS
DS415+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi - I'm new to poking around in the gizzards of DSM but I've intermittent experience of Linux/ Ubuntu etc. I'm trying to examine the root level file system accessing my DS415+ (DSM 6.2.3) via an SSH connection. I'm logged in as root and I've tried out various Linux commands which seem to function as expected. However I can't display the root directory structure and I can't figure out why! Using ls produces nothing but lis with a guess at a directory (e.g. usr) produces the expected listing of directories and sub-directories. Also cd /<directory> serves to move into the specified dir but cd jumps back to the root and cd.. gets a 'command not found' error.

Am I doing something wrong, misremembering Linux commands to bumping into a DSM eccentricity?

Thanks for any help

Paul

cd .. is the command to go up one level. Notice the space after CD. Seems to me you are using some command wrong and some command without their switches to get what you want. Google it a bit and you will get there. DSM is pure Linux under the hood so nothing special going on there.

Ah - I hadn't spotted that I was leaving the space out. Thanks for pointing it out.

On the command line enter help to get a list of the commands. If you enter help cd you'll get the full help for the cd command.

cd is the same as cd ~ and changes the current working directory to the logged in user's $HOME.

To get the file system root use cd /.

If the info before the '$' prompt isn't enough then use pwd to find the present/current working directory.

Working on the command line, as root, is a dangerous place if you don't know the basic commands.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.