Solved Browse snapshots of encrypted shares?

Currently reading
Solved Browse snapshots of encrypted shares?

NAS
DS1621+, DS1019+, DS218+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
  3. other
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Most of the shares on my Synology aren't encrypted, but I do have a couple that are encrypted.

I've noticed that I can browse any of the snapshots of the 'regular' shares when I want to find & restore a few files or folders. But with the encrypted shares it seems like I can't select a snapshot then browse it, I can only restore the selected snapshot or clone it with a new name?

Just checking there isn't a different way to browse these snapshots? If not I might switch them to 'regular unencrypted shares', as I really like the safety net of snapshots every 5 minutes for files/folders I work on for my job, but not being able to browse them to pick out files or folders from previous snapshots is hampering me.

Last edited:
Another lame Synology contrivance...
To browse the snapshot, you need to enable "Make snapshot visible" option for the shared folder. But this isn't possible for encrypted folders. Ooops!

Synology warns that the snapshot folder won't be visible when setting up an encrypted folder, but they fail to mention that such a constraint imposes a major limitation on snapshot usage. So snapshot restoration is trial and error (emphasis on error).

This is just another example of Synology's mantra that things (hardware, software) are "good enough" (but never completely featured). It as if a team of summer interns was tasked with developing Synology packages, and then just wrapped them up in whatever condition they were in when their internships ended.

Another lame Synology contrivance...
To browse the snapshot, you need to enable "Make snapshot visible" option for the shared folder. But this isn't possible for encrypted folders. Ooops!

Synology warns that the snapshot folder won't be visible when setting up an encrypted folder, but they fail to mention that such a constraint imposes a major limitation on snapshot usage. So snapshot restoration is trial and error (emphasis on error).

This is just another example of Synology's mantra that things (hardware, software) are "good enough" (but never completely featured). It as if a team of summer interns was tasked with developing Synology packages, and then just wrapped them up in whatever condition they were in when their internships ended.
Ah, so there's no way around it.

Yeah, that's pretty lame. Switching to non-encrypted for all shares then :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yes. Worthless for individual file recovery. With encrypted folders, it is "all or nothing".

Still... no need to go unencrypted if hourly backups suffice. Hyper Backup can do that. But unlike snapshotting, the backups need another device destination.

For most of my files hourly backups or less frequent is fine.

But for my work I'm doing snapshots every fine minutes, as a kind of extended versioning. I don't need it very often, but it's been a life saver a few times.

Since this thread is more than a 1 year old, and now that DMS 7 is out (and installed on my stations), it there any news about the possibility of browsing snapshots of encrypted shared folders (to essentially restore files at a granular level and not the entire shared folder)

Because I miss this feature as well, I took your question as an opportunity to try it. But unfortunately there seems to be no improvement in DSM 7 yet :-(

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.