Currently reading
Browsing photos on my NAS from Windows problems

NAS
DS923+ (16GB)
Router
  1. RT6600ax
Operating system
  1. Windows
This really bothers me and was discovered recently. When browsing my photos on my NAS (DS918+) in Windows Explorer and doubleclicking a photo, sometimes just gives a white/blank window, just like Windows can't read the file, and it stays like that for quite a while. Sometimes I get errormessages (haven't got a screenshot at the moment sorry). Later, I can open that problematic photo without problems so I doubt it's filerelated.
Anyone experienced something similar?

Last edited:
Nothing obvious there, CPU usage is like 1%..

EDIT: Windows Event Viewer complains that "microsoft.photos" had some issues. "Lock: Cross-process".

I use Fastone Viewer on my laptop (Windows 10) through to the photos directory on the DS218+ with no similar problems. As Shadow says, maybe a Windows machine problem.

If you copy over a folder of photos to your computer, do you get the same problem?

Use tools like Q-dir to get ride of Windows Explorer at all? WE is so 1999. Even my old file explorer of OS2/Warp (yep, that has been a while) would still be better to use. I have found Q-Dir to be a great experience over the years.

Use tools like Q-dir to get ride of Windows Explorer at all? WE is so 1999. Even my old file explorer of OS2/Warp (yep, that has been a while) would still be better to use. I have found Q-Dir to be a great experience over the years.

A replacement for Windows Explorer. This post reminds me the good 'ol days of Total Commander.... :D

1595681933838.png

This started to happen since I upgraded to DSM 6.2.3-25426 update 2. I never noticed it previously anyway..

EDIT: No, it seems to be Windows related. I get the error from photos on harddrives on my computer aswell.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.