jann

Subscriber
NAS
DS1520+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
So I finally got my DS1520+ set up like I want it...and I want to enable snapshots so I can roll-back like I can in APFS (Apple's file system). I assumed I had to install the Snapshot Replication app from Synology. If that is wrong, please tell me. What I want is this: If a file is deleted or corrupted and I want to roll back that file, I assumed I could do it. That's why I formatted BRTFS. Am I wrong? Did I need to install Snapshot Replication? Cos I did.. (and didn't do ANYTHING but install it and run it.) Then I stopped when I saw this: What in the actual #%@@#???
Screen Shot 2021-08-22 at 8.51.54 PM.png

Okay, so if I installed the wrong thing, fine. I just want to enable snapshots. How do I do this?

Thanks in advance!

Jann

You need to install Snapshot Replication, and then, within that package, set up a snapshot schedule for the shared folder you wish to protect. The screenshot you posted is unrelated AFAIK.

Here's how to use Snapshot Replication.

The warning in your screenshot is more of a forceful hint. Keeping a continuous log of every single file transaction does not play well with Snapshots as the system is trying to capture an ever-moving target in a manner that itself gets logged continuously. Throw-in drive access times and everything running through the CPU and the scale of the dog-chasing-it's-tail task becomes obvious.

So the hint is don't run a continuous file log unless you have a specific need to do so, with a reminder of what other functions it interfaces with, if you are using Snapshots and cannot accept the performance penalty.

The warning in your screenshot is more of a forceful hint. Keeping a continuous log of every single file transaction does not play well with Snapshots as the system is trying to capture an ever-moving target in a manner that itself gets logged continuously. Throw-in drive access times and everything running through the CPU and the scale of the dog-chasing-it's-tail task becomes obvious.

So the hint is don't run a continuous file log unless you have a specific need to do so, with a reminder of what other functions it interfaces with, if you are using Snapshots and cannot accept the performance penalty.
Ya' know? You're right. BUT I didn't read "Record File Access Time Frequency" as a log. I read it as "keep modification times/dates updated". Maybe I'm silly but I was thinking: "Wow! Synologys don't keep modification/access time up to date?" so selected "daily". I was new to Synology and there was no explanation of that feature short of an info button that said exactly what I thought: "records last access time of a file". What can I say?

I turned it to "never" now!

All my volumes are set to 'never' but I've yet to compare the difference between NASes with very week CPUs to the more powerful AMD or Xeon with it set. Maybe it is of lesser concern with better hardware so hopefully someone with this insight can chime in.

Anyway, glad we could help!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.