Btrfs Space Reclamation --> Manual Start?

Currently reading
Btrfs Space Reclamation --> Manual Start?

NAS
220+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I have recently moved and deleted lots of large file on multiple shared drives. And I have
  • Mounted all drives
  • run "Empty all Recycle Bins", and
  • defrag the volume, and
  • [Storage Manager > Global Settings > Set Time Grid > Run space reclamation] is set to all days and all times.
I waited over night. assuming the reclamation process would start when the system was idle. But here is no indication that [Resource Monitor > Task Manager > Btrfs Space Reclamation] process is running or has started.
  1. Is there any way to start the Btrfs Space Reclamation process manually from the DSM UI?
  2. Does a shared drive need to be mounted for space reclamation to occur on that drive?

Solution
D
Regarding the free space issue, OP do you have snapshots on the share(s) in question? If there are snapshots that are still referencing the deleted large files, the space wont be freed until they're no longer referenced anywhere.
and should absolutely be avoided when using snaphots
Tks @Telos. I had read the same in your comments on other posts.
Yep. Agreed. But I had to give it a try. On other posts, I had read there is a way to execute defrag that also seemed to trigger space reclamation. I think it was the "F" flag when run in terminal. So just wondered if the same would work from the DSM UI. The answer seems to be "No".

Upvote 0
Regarding the free space issue, OP do you have snapshots on the share(s) in question? If there are snapshots that are still referencing the deleted large files, the space wont be freed until they're no longer referenced anywhere.

Upvote 1
Solution
Last edited:
If there are snapshots that are still referencing the deleted large files, the space wont be freed until they're no longer referenced anywhere.
Bingo. Thanks @Fortran. You turned the light on 💡.

I had stopped snapshots per @Telos earlier threads. But I didn't remove them. As soon as I read your post, your answer was obvious.

Action taken...
I have 3 of 5 shared drives that had a few snapshots. 2 of the 3 shared drives that had snapshots is where significant changes were made (file moving and deletion).

Using DSM UI on my DS220+ and going to [Snapshot Replication > Snapshots > Shared Folder > Snapshot List], removed snapshots for both shared drives. At this point, [Resource Monitor > Task Manager > Btrfs Space Reclamation] is not showing activity.

UPDATE: Apparently Btrfs Space Reclamation ran - very fast. Storage Manager now shows the correct space and cleared approximately 0.6Tb. Now, turning Shapshots back on.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.