DSM 7.1 Btrfs vs Ext4 for QLC SSD RAID0 Media Server

Currently reading
DSM 7.1 Btrfs vs Ext4 for QLC SSD RAID0 Media Server

D

Deleted member 673

Last edited by a moderator:
We're setting up a 'satellite' DS923+ with Web Station on an NVMe storage pool --- and Media Server on a RAID0 storage pool with 4x Samsung 870 QVO SSDs (QLC).

The QLC SSD pool will contain a copy of a media archive - after the initial load, there will be vastly more reads vs. writes. Availability/backup is not an issue. No other applications are anticipated.

Given the environment - particularly QLC media - is there any reason to prefer EXT4 over Btrfs? I've read conflicting second-hand advice elsewhere regarding impact of Btrfs on QLC lifetime. But my inclination is Btrfs.

Thanks for your thoughts. Ron

Solution
there any reason to prefer EXT4 over Btrfs?
Awesome setup (923 over 10G that is)!

BTRFS vs EXT4 is also something to consider depending on the potential apps/platforms that will run on the NAS. Some packages will require BTRFS by default. While this is a backup device, EXT4 might be enough but long term if something else comes along in terms of installing an app that is atm not needed it might be tricky to convert (as you can't convert in place).
BTRFS is now Synology standard, I would stick with that. I think it runs stable, at least here on SHR Raid5 SSD pools.
On the other hand there will probably be no benefit at all if you do not use the snapshots etc. You will just loose about 3% of the volume size because of overhead.

My worry is the choice for raid0. Unless you are at 10GBE, there will be no speed difference, just the risk of 100% loss of your data in case one SSD fails, and no possibility to replace a disk.

Upvote 0
Thanks, @EAZ1964. It will be 10GBE. Availability is not a concern - this is, essentially, a bonus backup to offload casual media consumers. My thinking on RAID0 is that it would generate less write activity to the QLC pool vs. a RAID5/6/F1. Plus, of course, RAID0 provides max data capacity for min cost.

Upvote 0
there any reason to prefer EXT4 over Btrfs?
Awesome setup (923 over 10G that is)!

BTRFS vs EXT4 is also something to consider depending on the potential apps/platforms that will run on the NAS. Some packages will require BTRFS by default. While this is a backup device, EXT4 might be enough but long term if something else comes along in terms of installing an app that is atm not needed it might be tricky to convert (as you can't convert in place).

Upvote 0
Solution

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.