NAS
DS718+
Router
  1. RT2600ac
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I have a DS718+ with two 4tb drives with only one volume on each, using 1.5Tb out of the 3.6Tb available. Each drive formatted as EXT4. Was reading about the synology app active backup for business and downloaded it to see if it would work for me as easeustodo is not working well as a whole computer backup solution for me. Once I installed the client app on my laptop it said that I would need to have the synology drives formatted as btrfs.

I assume there is no way to reformat the drives from Ext4 to btrfs without wiping the data, right?

Bonus question: is active backup for business a good solution for whole computer backup to the NAS? What do you use?

I like Active Backup, been using it for about 4 months now. I was a avid user of Acronis before and spent many £ upgrading every other year to the latest version. In the end I got fed up of having to update every PC/Laptop with any new client and also I kept on getting problems with incomplete backups and the one time I needed to restore it said it couldnt find the backup when I could see it was fine.
Active backup client is a much smaller and quicker install, it takes about 10 seconds, you can push the client updates out to the client from the NAS so no visiting to update. But best bit for me is instant restore to VMM or Exsi/Hypervisor. Ive tested full restores a number of times and it worked everytime.
All this and its free (well free if you already have a Synology NAS)

@daptap Correct you will need btrfs and there is no official way to do an in place format change.

Recently I wrote an article on the subject of AB and several scenarios of usage, might come in handy.

@Telos - that is a helpful link.
@rolandrat - good to hear it is working for you. Did this recently go free or something? Thought it was licensed before.
@Rusty - thanks for the link.
@jeyare - I have room, but if I run out that looks handy.

Wouldn't be easy for me to convert (still a novice at the NAS / networking), so might be a longer term project. Easeustodo is not working for me: says it will wake up my laptop to do an incremental backup on the schedule I've chosen, but it doesn't work often.

I so much appreciate this forum. This forum rocks! There is no contest between this and the official forum.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.