Currently reading
C2 backup strategies

NAS
DS923+ (16GB)
Router
  1. RT6600ax
Operating system
  1. Windows
Currently I've configured all my shared folders as different C2-backup-jobs. I read somewhere that someone did this to get a better overview what's backed up and what's not. I also think it might be faster working this way in case there's need for a restore some day (relinking an existing C2-backupjob with lots of files was extremly slow last time I tried).
Would be interesting to hear how other people are configuring their C2-backups. Currently I obviously have lots of C2-jobs (since I've got quite a few folders) which somewhat clutters the interface...

I don't use C2,
but have my HyperBackup split into 4 different tasks

each task includes some shares, and the grouping depends on the importance of the data and how often they change.

One backup task runs only 3-4 times per year, as it's shares contain almost static archived data or data of minor importance.
Other tasks run weekly.

Currently I've configured all my shared folders as different C2-backup-jobs. I read somewhere that someone did this to get a better overview what's backed up and what's not. I also think it might be faster working this way in case there's need for a restore some day (relinking an existing C2-backupjob with lots of files was extremly slow last time I tried).
Would be interesting to hear how other people are configuring their C2-backups. Currently I obviously have lots of C2-jobs (since I've got quite a few folders) which somewhat clutters the interface...
I'm on the same setup when it comes to C2 via HB (or any destination regarding HB). Benefits are what you said already, better control and faster restore.

I’m sure HB can only run one task at a time so you can’t run concurrent restores from different vaults. So how is it faster?

Also HB allows selective folders during restore. Unless my medium term memory is completely failing me.

But splitting backups to address destination space is perfectly valid.

Also HB allows selective folders during restore
All true. Was more along the line of restoring the entire task and its content. But that depends on how you have each task configured with your data. Guess my mindset is better to have multiple smaller tasks then one big one (especially when it comes to backup part of the task, upload speed).

I select only the most important folders for C2 backup:
  1. even now after they finally enabled the upload speed I was already paying for up to a massive 10Mbps!
  2. because I'm tight with money and 50% of 300GB is enough for stuff that can't be recreated.
With multiple HB tasks you'll have the DSM config. backed up each time too, which isn't a bad thing.

I’m sure HB can only run one task at a time so you can’t run concurrent restores from different vaults. So how is it faster?
I recall during a reinstall of my NAS, relinking the backup-job was slow beyond belief when I had one backupjob for many folders. It's not related to actual restore-speed.

splitting backups to address destination space is perfectly valid.
If you ever had a corrupted HB task, you'll be glad that you split backup tasks...
...something about "all your eggs in one basket".
egg fright.gif

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.