C2 Password C2 Password vs Bitwarden (Vaultwarden)

Currently reading
C2 Password C2 Password vs Bitwarden (Vaultwarden)

Well count me as neither as well. It's 1Password for me... I still remember the days before iPhone when getting a Mac app from a mainstream developer was a grudging afterthought at best.

With 1Password family account I actually have something they do use cos the apps are bundled in the price (and Dad pays). I know! A-maz-ing :)

I very much like keeping everything in-house rather than relying on commercial cloud services. So definitely Vaultwarden and standalone 1Password.

Something like a password manager is not something you should want in the cloud no matter how hard they try to convince you they have it secured properly.

Even if you run it locally on your own server you should still be careful not to give it unnecessary access from the internet.

People want everything to be easy and fast, and that's where danger lurks.

I very much like keeping everything in-house rather than relying on commercial cloud services. So definitely Vaultwarden and standalone 1Password.
Nothing to stop you mixing vault types in, e.g., 1Password. The snag with on-device only vaults is managing up-to-date credentials between different devices.

I used to use SplashID on Mac/PalmOS and it was somewhat [a lot] painful to be sure it was sync'ed. 1Password went through iterations of WLAN-sync, Dropbox, iCloud, and 1P cloud and still supports them. Which to choose will depend on how you assess your risk and the cost of exposure/loss.

People want everything to be easy and fast, and that's where danger lurks.
Agree with you here. It's also why I keep asking my bank to send out contactless-less cards. Even a 4 digit PIN isn't that much security.

Last edited:
I am staying with Vaultwarden/Bitwarden. I got rid of LastPass due to their tracking policies and that they have had their salted hash attacked in the past. I have my Vaultwarden behind my firewall and only approved devices/accounts accessing it. Not to say that there couldn't be a engineered browser or other attack though the an internal device but don't trust cloud services for this critical role.

I just switched from Bitwarden to C2, and I love it. So much better. It's much easier to use, the autologin feature is very seamless. Bitwarden takes so many clicks to login. Thanks for making this product.

Enpass for me. I save my vault on my NAS and sync to my other devices using wifi Sync server running from a VM on the NAS. No cloud sync as it only syncs when connected to my local network.

I bought a NAS to give me the power to self-host my (and others) digital data. So obviously I'm sticking with Vaultwaren.
-- post merged: --

Bitwarden takes so many clicks to login.
Firefox plugin and Android app are very simple to login once configured correctly. Especially the Android app that supports Biometric security.

I just switched from Bitwarden to C2
But why? Storing highly critical data with a cloud newbie, over which you have no control is perilous. Since the recent LastPass debacle, I would be tremendously cautious in turning over my data to a 3rd party (particularly Synology), By self-hosting Bitwarden you are less subject to Synology's coding vulnerabilities, and their near total lack of use technical support.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.