Currently reading
Question C2 Upload Problem?

NAS
DS218+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
It's been 24 hour since I started to backup to C2 and nothing shows up on the C2 Dashboard. On my HyperBackup it says "Backing Up, Data of Shared Folders 14%". "Progress 147.58GB. Files Scanned 160471. I don't understand these log entries:

Level Time User Event
Warning 7/4/2020 22:00 SYSTEM Scheduled backup had been skipped because that task was running backup
Error 7/4/2020 20:23 SYSTEM [Synology C2][Synology C2] Failed to start integrity check. (Destination is busy performing backup.)
Warning 7/4/2020 20:23 SYSTEM [Synology C2][Synology C2] Scheduled integrity check has been skipped because of timeout waiting for backup.
Information 7/4/2020 7:14 SYSTEM [Synology C2][Synology C2] Backup task started.
Information 7/4/2020 7:14 (me) Setting of backup task [Synology C2] was created to backup to [Synology C2 storage/ds218-nas_20200704_071032.hbk].

What does it mean?

I could not test for my internet speed as I had already started the upload. I did contact Tech Support and they had me upload a log file. Waiting to see what they say. I don't remember having any task made or scheduled.

I could not test for my internet speed as I had already started the upload.
What's your ISP upload speed (not the advertised incoming)? And what's the NAS running outbound [look in Resource Center]?

Is the NAS hitting the ISP's limit for pushing out data?

I don't remember having any task made or scheduled.
The hyper backup task you’re running to C2...
  • Did you set a schedule for running the backup part of the task?
  • Did you set a schedule for running the backup integrity check part of the task?
If it's still running when the next scheduled event (backup or integrity check) should take place then those will wait until this current running has completed, or seems may time out.

Edit:

147GB upload over 24 hours would be about 14Mbps.

What's your ISP upload speed (not the advertised incoming)? And what's the NAS running outbound [look in Resource Center]?

Is the NAS hitting the ISP's limit for pushing out data?

The hyper backup task you’re running to C2...
  • Did you set a schedule for running the backup part of the task?
  • Did you set a schedule for running the backup integrity check part of the task?
If it's still running when the next scheduled event (backup or integrity check) should take place then those will wait until this current running has completed, or seems may time out.

Edit:

147GB upload over 24 hours would be about 14Mbps.
I see on the Hyper Backup that there is a daily tasked scheduled right when the error and warning came on, for 22:00. How do I disable the scheduled backup until my first total backup? Thanks for pointing that out. I feel so dumb. Please bare with me as I am new to this.

I watched a YouTube Video which showed how to set up Hyper Backup to upload to Synology C2. In the video, it was mentioned that Hyper Backup first creates a Snapshot of the data to be uploaded and then uploads that Snapshot. If that is true then it is possible that Hyper Backup has been spending the last 50 hours creating a Snapshot of 953GB of date (218,000 photos). Its still only up to 24%. Can anyone verify this? If this is so I am surprised that the Chat support has not picked up on this in trying to figure out why there is nothing in my C2 cloud yet.

953GB/218000 photos = 4.37MB per photo file
953GB/50hours = constant upload speed is about 42.4Mbps

- a bunch of relative small files
- expected lot of subdirectories
Re: internet connection:
- what kind of connection do you have purchased?
- what is the name of the product? E.g. speed?

953GB/218000 photos = 4.37MB per photo file
953GB/50hours = constant upload speed is about 42.4Mbps

- a bunch of relative small files
- expected lot of subdirectories
Re: internet connection:
- what kind of connection do you have purchased?
- what is the name of the product? E.g. speed?
I am not sure of my internet speed as Hyper Backup is still doing its thing. But if Hyper Backup is still creating a Snapshot won't the internet come into play once it's finished creating a Snapshot?

physically you need transport these data from source (NAS) to target (C2)
Simplified:
Snapshot is just feature, what can helps you (your backup sw) to know actual state of your data in time.

when you don’t know, what’s your internet speed, it’s hardly to provide an advice for you.
... just use one of the public test and write here an evaluation

I've just been through something similar @Joseb, what you describe sound about right! I had HB send files by rsync to another Synology, it spent hours doing nothing. The only way I really knew files were on the move was to check what was happening on my router: HB was actually saturating my uplink.

I'm finding some of the Synology apps lacking in parts...

physically you need transport these data from source (NAS) to target (C2)
Simplified:
Snapshot is just feature, what can helps you (your backup sw) to know actual state of your data in time.

when you don’t know, what’s your internet speed, it’s hardly to provide an advice for you.
... just use one of the public test and write here an evaluation
My internet speed is 36.6mps download and 9.5mps upload. But remember, my NAS is supposedly doing something, so won't the NAS come into play.

I guess what I need to know is, does Hyper Backup first take a SnapShot before sending any data up to C2 or does it do both at the same time; i.e. take a Snapshot and send data to C2? Thanks for helping me out.

so with this upload speed you will transfer all the 953GB to C2 during 223 hours = 9.3 days continuously
reason why you have just 24% during 50hours
then you can take a long rest

Re your setup:
you have Backup task from Hyperbackup to C2. Could you pls send here a screenshot of the setup (excl. sensitive data).
Because I have an idea, that you combine two different services expectation to single one (snapshoot and hyperbackup).

so with this upload speed you will transfer all the 953GB to C2 during 223 hours = 9.3 days continuously
reason why you have just 24% during 50hours
then you can take a long rest

Re your setup:
you have Backup task from Hyperbackup to C2. Could you pls send here a screenshot of the setup (excl. sensitive data).
Because I have an idea, that you combine two different services expectation to single one (snapshoot and hyperbackup).
I got the idea that the Hyper Backup creates a snapshot from a video on YouTube. So I have only used Hyper Backup to try to get data up to C2. Attached are files showing my Hyper Backup page and my C2 page, both a few minutes ago. If you see any info which is confidential let me know so I can delete the files. I blurred out any identifying stuff.

Attachments

• SynologyC2.jpg
    SynologyC2.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 79
  • Hyperbu.jpg
    Hyperbu.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 85
I got the idea that the Hyper Backup creates a snapshot from a video on YouTube. So I have only used Hyper Backup to try to get data up to C2. Attached are files showing my Hyper Backup page and my C2 page, both a few minutes ago. If you see any info which is confidential let me know so I can delete the files. I blurred out any identifying stuff.
These images have been made small. The image sizes I uploaded were a lot bigger.

You can see from the widgets sidebar that your NAS's outbound traffic is running at over 8Mbps (1MB/s): the number is pixelated but looks to be 1.3-1.5MB/s (10.4-12.0Mbps).

I don't recall if C2 reports new storage being consumed by active uploads. It could be that it will report on the size of currently recoverable files in the backup.

I noticed with C2 Plan 1 that when I uploaded folders that contained a lot of duplicated photos my C2 storage reported the combined size of the folders (no de-duplication that C2 Plan 2 includes), but the upload speed of the duplicated files was fantastically quicker: meaning that HB/C2 recognised that some data was duplicated and didn't actually upload it.

I would just leave the backup task to run out. However, if you are concerned that this will take too long and you want to do a local back of new files then you can stop the C2 task, run another task, and then start the C2 task again. I did this a few times plus also I added a Traffic Control rule to limit outbound TCP 6281 (DiskStation Manager - Knowledge Base | Synology Inc.) to stop the NAS taking all outbound bandwidth: your other LAN devices need a little bit of outbound so DNS and web requests can be sent out. This Traffic Control rule also limited HB to local Synology NAS so I disabled it once the initial C2 upload had finished, plus I now have a SRM Traffic Control rule for the NAS in my RT2600ac to limit just Internet traffic.

I got in touch with Synology's 2nd Tier support and they told me that Hyper Backup will scan the files first, and then upload them. So everything is actually working as it should. I was surprised that the Chat people did not know this. They could have told me that Hyper Backup is working properly and that I will not see anything upload to C2 until Hyper Backup finishes scanning the photo folder that it will later upload. This process looks like it will take a two weeks. Thank you all for your replies to this thread.

with max. 10Mbps uploads and first bunch of 1TB data for C2 it will be painful always
then next increments will be better (up to your new increment)

Based on communication above, you have small average size of data: 953GB/218000 photos = 4.37MB per photo file
Then you have more small sized than RAW formats. Mine is about 22.6MB/per photo file (+60k photos)
Follow this analogy your average increment with 100 new photos x 4.37MB = 437MB will spend about 6 minutes (follow your upload speed)
For an example, 30MB RAW file size x 100 new photos = 40 minutes

Idea:
what about purchase one external disk/USB3 for the data sync as first backup instance
when finished, then C2 as remote instance (second tier)
then you will sleep better .... because with such slow-speed upload you can run in a risk, that you will lose data during the C2 upload and you get big troubles.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.