Currently reading
Can a VM easily have sound?

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. Linux
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
The short question is, if I run a VM on my Synology NAS, can I heard any sound on my MacBook that is look at the VM? (last I remember it was showing on my web browser and didn't have sound)

If I get the DS1522+ instead of DS923+, it may be because of that 8GB so I can run some VMs on it. However, if it is not easy to have any sound, I may think twice about it.

You can plug a USB sound device into your Synology NAS. I have an older one that works with Win10 VM - Below examples (at Amazon - search item number) - cannot guaranty will work but you might want to try one of the cheaper ones. I can actually use mine with Dragon Naturally Speaking running in the Win 10 VM - Microphone plugged into the USB sound card device.

1. CableCreation USB Audio Adapter ($10 - B0776QBWYB).
2. Creative Sound BlasterX G1 7.1 Portable HD Gaming USB DAC and Sound Card ($25 - B01DLY3IW8)
3. SABRENT USB External Stereo Sound Adapter ($9 - noted as Linux compatible - B01N905VOY)

The short question is, if I run a VM on my Synology NAS, can I heard any sound on my MacBook that is look at the VM? (last I remember it was showing on my web browser and didn't have sound)

If I get the DS1522+ instead of DS923+, it may be because of that 8GB so I can run some VMs on it. However, if it is not easy to have any sound, I may think twice about it.
When looking to add RAM - refer to the make/model of the processor for the maximum amount of RAM you can add, not just what Synology says it "supports"

Last edited:
By the way you can upgrade memory reasonably low price with these: Nemix16GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 ECC SODIMM Compatible with Synology D4ECSO-2666-16G ($65 -Amazon - B09G4H2M3F).

I use NEMIX RAM in both my DS1821+ and DS1621+ without problem - no messages DSM 7.2 (1821+) and DSM 7.1 update 5 (1621+). Below is from DS1821+.

23050100.png

-- post merged: --

Additional - I have not tried it but you might be able to use USB speakers/microphones plugged into your NAS USB. I might try that and see if it works - will add a reply with results.

Just to clarify - the speakers/microphones must be plugged into the USB sound card plugged into your NAS.

Last edited:
One other thing: You have to mount the USB Audio Device in Virtual Machine Edit - OTHERS (see picture).

23050101.png

Another added picture: USB Audio device in Windows 10 Virtual Machine...

Edit - Microphone also works as mentioned above.

The CMedia USB stick is plugged into the front USB on my DS1821+.

(I'm going to check USB speakers and microphone soon)

23050102.png

(

I was hoping I can remotely use the VM and then hear the sound on my MacBook Air... for example, I may put the NAS downstairs so that it is not too hot during the summer, and then use the MacBook Air any where in the house and use the VM and be able to hear the sound coming from the VM...

Last edited:
I checked to see if I could get my USB microphone to work - NO GO - not recognized in Win 10 VM - may be other USB mics will work - I only have the one model to check.
Cannot find the one pair of USB speakers I own so I have not been able to check them.

I wanted another USB sound device, so I ordered one of the $9 Sabrent USB Audio sticks - I'll report back weather it works in Virtual Machines or not.

I was hoping I can remotely use the VM and then hear the sound on my MacBook Air... for example, I may put the NAS downstairs so that it is not too hot during the summer, and then use the MacBook Air any where in the house and use the VM and be able to hear the sound coming from the VM...
Could be possible with Mac - depends on whether the browser (Safari?) picks up/plays the sound from the VM. Essentially, what you are doing is turning the NAS into a computer that runs the VM OS - the USB Audio device has speaker/mic jacks to plug in the speakers/mic just like any computer motherboard/laptop - unless Synology upgrades Virtual Machine to play sound through the browser, I don't think playing the VM sound through your laptop will be possible. I don't own a Mac, so don't know how it will work in this case.

You could always try it - Only $9 for the Sabrent USB Audio stick. I'll have the Sabrent stick tomorrow afternoon (Amazon Prime one day delivery) to check compatibility. Like I said I will post the results of whether it works in my Win10 VM.

Attachments

• 23050103.png
    23050103.png
    96.8 KB · Views: 18
Results: $9 Sabrent USB Audio adapter

Works - the Sabrent actually shows up as CMedia (similar to my original USB Audio adapter). Works for speakers and microphone if hooked to the USB adapter plugged into one of the NAS USB ports. Appears as audio connection in Virtual Machines - only plays/records sound if speaker/mic plugged into the NAS.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.